StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been successful with a rear wheel swap for a wider tire? I ride 95% street and ride edge to edge. I know the ABS would be an issue, but was hoping someone has swapped to a wider rear tire/rim combo? I know people were experimenting with the last generation.

thanks - joe

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You need a wider rim to use a wider tire. Putting a wider tire on a stock rim make extreme lean very squirrelly. Getting a 17" wheel and tire on the front will help cornering more than a wider rear tire. Are you moving some body weight to the inside of the turn? That will allow more lean. Most importantly though, the combination moving weight inside and using all your tire tread is a bad practice on the street. Riding at 10/10ths leaves zero room for error. That should be saved for the track where there are no potholes or clueless cagers.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Has anyone been successful with a rear wheel swap for a wider tire? I ride 95% street and ride edge to edge. I know the ABS would be an issue, but was hoping someone has swapped to a wider rear tire/rim combo? I know people were experimenting with the last generation.

thanks - joe
A wider tire will not help. There's nothing wrong with using all of the tire.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I like the looks of a wider tire but there's not much room between the chain on the left and the swingarm on the right for a larger tire. I thought of cutting the "sides" off the existing rim and having bands added to each side by welding. I would think you could go to a 180 perhaps if you did that. It's a bunch of effort. I have a 6" TL 1000 wheel if you'd like to play with it.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
A friend found his R1100S handles better with the 5 inch wheel/rim combo than the 5 1/2 inch bigger tire combo. The bike felt more sluggish in the twisties with the fatter tire.
The looks of a big rear don't necessarily make the bike do stuff you only imagine it will.
But to be sure, you should pursue the effort and let us know if it is better.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Not to start the DS debate here, but my DS tire is a LOT wider than the stock tire. I didn't have to change my riding style or speed with the wider tire.
Ride comfort, noise, handling, wet conditions...none of that is compromised with the wider tire. It does, however make my ABS kick off. I"m willing to make that sacrifice for the $ savings.
If someone chooses to put on a wider motorcycle tire I can't imagine the results would be much different than mine.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

·
Administrator
6,386 Posts
Yes...when I posted that pic it reminded me that I need to start designing the #4 sticker.
And yes the tire is kinda square, like the guy that rides it... :nerd:

:grin2:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/events/334714-4th-annual-cache-rally-2017-june-9-11-a.html
I once put a trials tyre with a square profile on my Yammy XTZ750 and it was positively unsettling in the curves - the rear always seemed to feel so insecure on the lean.
Good luck to you but I would suggest that what works for you may not work for everyone.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Good luck to you but I would suggest that what works for you may not work for everyone.
^That goes without saying.

I've put around 70,000 miles on DS tires, I don't have any problems in the corners..

·
Registered
168 Posts

thanks - joe
Unless you have gone beyond dragging the pegs and started to drag hard parts, don't worry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! I believe I do ride my bike a little different than the majority of the group. I regulary do hit lean angles do drag pegs. Late last season I was chasing a friend on a gsxr1000 through the twisties and the rear end scooted on me. Probably only a 1/4", but enough to pucker. Probably a combination of tire wear (mich pilot road 4's with ~4k miles), body position, and seat. I had the terry adcox seat on which keeps me higher in the saddle and more upright. I also tend to get lazy with my upper torso due to the upright riding position. I think I'll try some fresh rubber and may experiment with a lower seat and lower handle bars.

I've lusted over the ktm superduke 1290, but don't have the coin.

thanks!
-Joe

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wider tires wont help, you can knee drag on a ninja 250 with 110/130 tires.

I would absolutely 100% recommend you do a track day if you want to improve your riding in the twisties. Learning proper body position will help you take turns faster and without dragging pegs, giving you more traction. I find I actually like my Adcox seat better for aggressive riding. Whereabouts do you live? I highly recommend tonystrackdays.com for track noobs in New England area.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Thanks guys! I believe I do ride my bike a little different than the majority of the group. I regulary do hit lean angles do drag pegs. Late last season I was chasing a friend on a gsxr1000 through the twisties and the rear end scooted on me. Probably only a 1/4", but enough to pucker. Probably a combination of tire wear (mich pilot road 4's with ~4k miles), body position, and seat. I had the terry adcox seat on which keeps me higher in the saddle and more upright. I also tend to get lazy with my upper torso due to the upright riding position. I think I'll try some fresh rubber and may experiment with a lower seat and lower handle bars.

I've lusted over the ktm superduke 1290, but don't have the coin.

thanks!
-Joe
There's a few of us here who ride the Stroms that way from time to time. :)

The crucial thing to realize is that a wider tire does not, in and of itself, give you more traction. It doesn't even put more rubber on the road unless you lower the tire pressure.
Where a wider rim would help is if it lets you run stickier sport bike tires that aren't available in sizes to fit the Strom's rims.
Personally, I find that the regular Pilot Roads give me enough traction to use all the ground clearance available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great feedback guys. I grabbed a sv650 for the track this year to do just that MattR302. Will be a first for me, but long over due. I grew up in the midwest on straight roads and haven't known any better. Now reside just south of Philadelphia about 45 min from NJMP.

The wider rim was also to open up tire selection as RichDesmond hinted. I had an extra set of superbike handlebars and swapped those out today. Purely just trying to get a little forward lean angle. Just barely fit. Clutch and brake hit cluster area at handle bar lock. I'll add that I've owned a gen 1 aprilia Tuono as well. Crazy fun bike.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
there is plenty of room, darksiders have proven it with 205s
I just went out to measure the tiny room available and there's a bunch more than I thought. I think a 180 or even larger could fit in there. My bad. Now I'm thinking of how to put a bigger one on my bike. Just for "looks".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts