StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When washing my bike (Wee) yesterday on the rear axle on the sprocket side I noticed a length of black rubber band like material protruding onto the axle/spacer and it appears the seal on that side has been chewed out. There seems to be a very slight leaking of greasy/oil fluid involved but nothing too serious. I want to get on to this quickly. Is it something the home mechanic can tackle. ie Purchase a seal and do it myself? I am familiar with the axle bearing set up etc to some extent?

Secondly any ideas what may have caused that...just had new tyres fitted (4,500 kms ago) so maybe something in the replacement of the axle at that time? or just wear and tear?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Chances are the spacer to seal interface was not clean and greased when re-assembled. Replacing the seal is not too difficult.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Chances are the spacer to seal interface was not clean and greased when re-assembled. Replacing the seal is not too difficult.
Its not a hard job Peter, if you have the tools and a bit ofan idea what your doing.
check that the spacer hasnt developed a wear groove, if so replace it or I can sleeve it with S/steel.
either way if you'd like a hand give me a yell.

·
38,103 Posts
My spacer has a groove. It is smooth though and the seal nestles into it just fine. :mrgreen:

If the groove is rough, that's a different story.

·
38,103 Posts
if the inner seal lip doesnt make contact with the spacer surface then the seal is not doing its job, and your bearings will be toast before too long, especially if your bike sees any gravel.
I can't imagine a spacer wearing that much. It would have to wear down beyond contact so what would be wearing it?

·
38,103 Posts
I can understand a dirt scoot with aluminum spacers but the Stroms are steel. I replaced the sprocket carrier bearing with a totally sealed bearing so my spacer seal is just a dust seal now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Pete,
Wardy and GW are on the right track. Have had the same happen on trail bikes and a few roadies myself. Could also be that the seal was damaged ever slightly (misalignment of the spacer/ axle during a tyre change ??? Have clumsily done this myself in my early years:confused:) deforming the seal and causing it to be out of round and inducing the 'rubber band'. Make sure you check the spacer for wear as Wardy said. You'll need a new seal my suggestion is to take it down the local bearing centre and get it measured up and get one from there, the genuine is a tad expensive.

By the sounds of things by having oily stuff appearing in that area it could be the grease mixing up with the water and making its way out. I would be checking the condition of your carrier bearing as well, if it is the original one it will not be a double seal bearing and water can toast it if the oil/dust seal is letting gunk through. Also the carrier bearing is not a standard size, again the genuine is way expensive give the local bearing centre a go they can get it in for you, make sure you put in a Double seal (DS) bearing (Suzuki will only give you a single seal bearing) you'll see the difference when you compare the new with the old- it will keep all the crap out and last a hell of a lot longer.

Like Wardy I wouldn't use grease on the seal but a smear of oil, nothing worse than a dry seal on dry metal. And like GW on my Strom I have changed out the wheel bearings, carrier bearing, seal, cush drives (and all from wear), all bearings have been replaced with DS jobs. Just need to keep reminding myself everything is built to a budget..........

If not too sure on what to look for, Wardy is a good source of info - heaps of experience - a quick buzz and he'll put you on the right track.

Steve.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm a little confused, I cant see a post by Saturn5 (wardy)

anyway bearing and seal info for the rear

1 off bearing - 62/32-2RS (aftermarket)
2 off bearing - 6204-2RS/C3 (aftermarket)
1 off seal - 28 x 4 x 77 (aftermarket)
1 off seal, Cushdrive side - had use the Suzuki Oem part for this one, as its a odd size (39mm) and know one it tried had a match for it.
Suzuki part No: is 09285-39001

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Is it something the home mechanic can tackle. ie Purchase a seal and do it myself? I am familiar with the axle bearing set up etc to some extent?
When I changed my rear tire at 55k miles, I wasn't crazy about the looks of the bearings and seals, although I couldn't feel anything amiss. I had new bearings and seals on hand, but no place to work on them, so my local mechanic did the job for me for around $60. It took him 45 minutes. No way I could do it that quickly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My bad - over fifties slip. Thanks for adding the details re bearing sizes.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
1 off seal, Cushdrive side - had use the Suzuki Oem part for this one, as its a odd size (39mm) and know one it tried had a match for it.

Yes, there's an aftermarket seal for it. But instead of 4mm thick, it's 6mm and protrudes just a tad after installation. Which doesn't matter, as there's no spacer pressing against it or touching it.
Make sure you install it "dry" to prevent any slipping out. (as in, clean mounting surface of grease/ oil etc)

Can't remember the exact size,..... but I've never bought an OEM seal or bearing for the DLs...
Swapping a set of rear wheel bearings and seals incl. sprocket carrier barely takes 30mins and that's using the slow method of knocking them in+out carefully, rather than using a bearing press/ puller as the shops should have.

Swapping the seal in question here is a 20second affair of flipping the old one out with a blunt, old screwdriver and tapping the new one in with a rubber mallet (or use a block of wood as buffer to make sure the rubber doesn't get nicked by the hammer).

·
Registered
811 Posts
My bad - over fifties slip. Thanks for adding the details re bearing sizes.

Steve.

No Problem Steve, least you have an excuse your over fifty, I'm not yet, but still manage to stuff things up from time time.

Yes, there's an aftermarket seal for it. But instead of 4mm thick, it's 6mm and protrudes just a tad after installation. Which doesn't matter, as there's no spacer pressing against it or touching it.
Make sure you install it "dry" to prevent any slipping out. (as in, clean mounting surface of grease/ oil etc)

Can't remember the exact size,..... but I've never bought an OEM seal or bearing for the DLs...
Swapping a set of rear wheel bearings and seals incl. sprocket carrier barely takes 30mins and that's using the slow method of knocking them in+out carefully, rather than using a bearing press/ puller as the shops should have.

Swapping the seal in question here is a 20second affair of flipping the old one out with a blunt, old screwdriver and tapping the new one in with a rubber mallet (or use a block of wood as buffer to make sure the rubber doesn't get nicked by the hammer).
Thanx for the heads up Glitch, will keep it in mind next time I change my seals

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hey Muddy maybe you should use quotation marks on your sig

"Travel by Gravel and double your map - Wardy"
Or Wardy might get upset and give you a rocket :green_lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

anyway bearing and seal info for the rear

1 off bearing - 62/32-2RS (aftermarket)
2 off bearing - 6204-2RS/C3 (aftermarket)
1 off seal - 28 x 4 x 77 (aftermarket)
Muddy are you saying just to take those numbers to a bearing supplier and he will know what they mean? And then buy the other seal from Suzuki?

Any suggestions in the Newcastle area for bearings?

·
Registered
811 Posts
yes Peter just take that information with you.

I use either BSC - Newcastle, 68 Munibung Rd, Cardiff

or

Southern Engineering Services - Newcastle, 132 Hannell St, Wickham.

the original size for the cushdrive (side) seal is 39x65x7, and as per Glitch's post (above) you may have to get one a tad thicker.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Southern Engineering Services - Newcastle, 132 Hannell St, Wickham ...i use these guys alot with bike bearings and seals ...they seem to have the obscure sizes....and the job is simple for a novacastrian like your self but if you need a hand as muddy said just ask ...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Huh! a little over 50s slip.

I'm sitting here lurking you might say with a smile. Made a boo boo once myself.
It is nice of you Muddy to note a remark I once made. I feel all chuffed I do.

Saturn 5 ...the heavy lifter ( as in rocket) And I still putt along the occasional dirt road.
WARDY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts