StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read the threads on removing the rear wheel, I was a bit apprehensive about doing so to install chain and sprockets. I now know why.

I can't get the damn thing on....I have the spacers installed correctly I believe (matching the diagram at least) but still have about 3/8 overlap on right side trying to fit spacer between hub and brake assembly. I've horsed the thing around for a couple of hours with no luck.

One thing looks funny to me....after securing new rear sprocket and sliding unit back into hub against the cush drive rubbers, there is a gap. Its as if the sprocket unit doesn't seat back in hub all the way....maybe 1/4 inch sticks out. Since I'm looking for wiggle room to refit right side spacer, does this sound right?

Any tips much appreciated....otherwise I'm gonna need some more hands and a bigger hammer.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The spacer inside the cush hub has the smaller diameter side facing the wheel and the larger diameter side facing the sprocket. Both ends of the spacer have to contact the adjacent bearings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Trying to visualize that GW....are you referring to the tapered spacer that fits into the bearing behind the cush drive from the right side of wheel? I have the taper contacting the bearing as that looks right.
What seems problematic to me is the large spacer that fits between the bearing and the brake assmbly...I'm not getting enough room...probably because i've done something wrong on the other side.

I think I have it in backwards.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Here's the parts diagram. Any space that shouldn't be there will cause insufficient room for the final piece.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done!

Thanks for all the input. In the end, it appears that part of my noise problem was caused by a previous incorrect installation, leading me to think that parts went together a certain way. Got that straightened out this a.m. and am back on the road with much less noise. The new chain is so quiet, went down to 520, that I can actually now hear the motor again.

I learned quite a bit doing this....including how I did not get the brake assembly secured properly, which led to me having to pull the whole damn mess apart again in a bank parking lot. Fortunately, it went right back together.....lol.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I guess I have no more excuse to procrastinate pulling my rear wheel. I have to fix my bent ABS ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts