StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE / TL;DR : The shop screwed up reinstallation, by installing an extra, unnecessary seal and by not pressing the sprocket side bearing deep enough. The issue resolved itself upon (purposefully incorrect) reassembly with omission of the brake side spacer, when I tightened the axle nut to the point where it forced the sprocket side bearing in to place. After this, I loosened the axle nut and with the extra clearance I was able to pull the axle, add the brake side spacer, and reassemble without issue.
_____

Alright. I have, what is possibly, a series of foolish questions. This is the first time I've had the wheels off of my bike though so I just want to make sure.

1. Is there supposed to be that much of a gap between the sprocket and the wheel.

2. I am supposed to have 1 of the pictured spacers per side (sprocket side, and brake side), correct? I know that the sprocket side needs one. (While I'm at it, does the front wheel require 1 or 2 spacers? If 1, which side does it go on?)

3. I ask #2 because I am having a hell of a time fitting the wheel between the swingarms with both of them on. There just doesn't seem to be enough clearance. My main issue here seems to be clearing the bottom part that the axle goes through.

I had the rear wheel off in maybe 10 minutes, but it's giving me a hell of a time going back on. Any advice? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
There is no gap between the sprocket and the wheel. you have something misaligned. That should fix all the issues once you sort that out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no gap between the sprocket and the wheel. you have something misaligned. That should fix all the issues once you sort that out.
Thank God. That's actually a relief. This is what I'm looking at. Where did I go wrong?

This rubber bushing/spacer seems to be blocking the outside metal ring from sitting flush. That's the only thing I see making contact though. I can't recall if that was there before or not...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Here's how the parts are aligned. You can see the #18 cush rubbers fit inside the pockets in the wheel and the projections in the #14 sprocket carrier fit in the cush rubbers. Make sure the #15 spacer between the wheel bearing and sprocket carrier bearing isn't in backwards. The wider end faces the sprocket and the narrower end faces the wheel on other models and I imagine its the same situation for your bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the pointers.

So looking at that diagram then...there should be no rubber seal around/on top of the bearing on the sprocket side? I see part #4 on the brake side on the diagram, but not on the sprocket side. From what I'm looking at though, one looks to be installed, and that is where my sticking point seems to be.

I wish I had taken more pictures when I broke it down, but removal was so easy I didn't figure there'd be an issue...

·
38,103 Posts
Unless you put that seal in yourself, it should be there. I think your problem is you have the #15 spacer in backwards. The smaller end should fit inside that seal and you are probably trying the fit the bigger end in there.

Here's the front wheel.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Bearing seals: #4 on the brake side. #17 on the sprocket side.

Start over. Identify the spacers according to the parts diagram. #12, #2, #15. Look at the chart and see which way they need to point. Which position they go in. Put the hammers away. Far away. When you get things in the right place, the wheel slides in with no problem.

Look at your rear brake caliper. Look at the swingarm on that side. One piece has a slot and the other has a key. The key needs to slide into the slot, not on top of it. Easy to get right; easy to get wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the front wheel, I only have one spacer. That diagram shows one on each side. When I disassembled it I took out all spacers and set them aside in my garage. I find it hard to believe that my bike came from the factory missing a spacer, but I find it just as hard to believe that I misplaced it, because I was so particular. I'm wondering if one was wedged in to the wheel and the shop misplaced it upon disassembly.

For the rear wheel, I saw the slot and key and have been sure to use that. At this point I just need to eliminate that space on the sprocket side.

For seal #17 on the diagram, it shows that should be on the outside of the retainer, part #15 (which only seats flush one way so I can't be messing that up). This mystery seal is inside of the wheel itself though, just on top of part #3. According to the diagram part #15 should be next in line. That's what's confusing me. I'm wondering if the wheel shop added something unnecessary that is obstructing other pieces from seating flush.

·
38,103 Posts
Are you saying you didn't take the wheel off? The only way an extra seal could have been installed is if you took the wheel off and took it to somebody else and they put it in, then you took the wheel back. Is that what happened?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Indeed. I took the wheel off, disassembled it, and took it to the shop for powdercoating and a mount/balance about a week and a half ago. I just picked it back up today.

The third picture of the second post of this thread does not show the seal that I am seeing, though it may be from the previous generation.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/adventu...r-exchange-program.html#/topics/167785?page=1

Again, this is what I'm seeing. I do not recall it being there, but I want to be absolutely sure before I go pulling it out. It seems to be the only thing obstructing the sprocket from seating flush against the wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the picture in the previous post I am pointing to the black rubber spacer/seal that is directly in top of the bearing, which is item 3 in the rear wheel diagram.

·
38,103 Posts
I finally found a picture. There should not be a seal there. The bearing looks too shallow too. It should look like this.

Not like this.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
In this part of the picture, you can see there is a Rear Hub Spacer (2), then the bearing (3), then 14 fits on top, there is no rubber seal around the inside. Perhaps that was added by someone by mistake? Does it come out easily? Try fitting it together with that out. If it is hard to get out don't force it and try not to damage it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally found a picture. There should not be a seal there. The bearing looks too shallow too. It should look like this.

Not like this.

Fantastic! That's exactly what I was digging for, but couldn't find. Thank you. That's what is interfering it seems.

That kind of has me worried though...if the shop added a random seal in one place, I wonder if they missed one in another.

It's wedged in there pretty tight. I'll see if I can get it loose without damaging it too much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far, so good I think. I was able to get thr piece out. It appears to be an extra of part #4 (which is present on the brake side). That thing was really in there. Used a flathead to pry it out and it shot half way across my garage.

This is the clearance I now have between thr sprocket and the wheel. It fits much more snugly.

I'll try to finish off the rear and report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's still very tight...but I'm hoping I can get it.

Also, which spacer goes to which side for the rear? One is slightly larger than the other. I cannot distinguish the two on the diagram.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts