StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting my rear wheel back together after installing a new tire, and noticed that the inner bearing (the one seated in the actual wheel) had slack around it. I can see the wheel has been wallowed out a little.

I've had the wheel off a number of times, and have always been careful to get the spacers in the correct order (using a photo the first couple of times).

What caused this? :confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Do you mean #8? You might have put it in backwards. It's the one on the right. The top part pictured should be placed toward the wheel and away from the sprocket.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's number 16 on the sprocket side. I had the spacer in correctly. I'd read the post that showed the ones incorrectly installed last year after purchasing the bike.

The bike has 28,000 miles, 19,000 of which were put on in the last 13 months.

·
38,103 Posts
I don't know where I got the idea it was a spacer. Anyhow, if the #8 spacer is put in backwards, it can do bad things back there. You can see how one side is wider than the other. If the wide side is placed against the wheel bearing, it will put force on the balls as well as the inner race. That keeps the balls from turning properly and puts excessive force on the outer race. There comes a time when the outer race slips in the bearing housing and that's the beginning of the end. The wheel starts turning on the outer bearing race instead of the bearing turning and you get what you observed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know where I got the idea it was a spacer. Anyhow, if the #8 spacer is put in backwards, it can do bad things back there. You can see how one side is wider than the other. If the wide side is placed against the wheel bearing, it will put force on the balls as well as the inner race. That keeps the balls from turning properly and puts excessive force on the outer race. There comes a time when the outer race slips in the bearing housing and that's the beginning of the end. The wheel starts turning on the outer bearing race instead of the bearing turning and you get what you observed.

I won't swear that I didn't get it in backwards; I am the King of Weird Mistakes.

It usually takes me more that one attempt to get all the pieces together and keep them together while trying to rotor to slide in between the brake pads and the caliber in line with...so forth an so on. I could have gotten things backwards on a redo.

Spacer #8 slides very nicely into bearing #14 with the beveled end pointing towards the inside of the wheel. That is my "check."

Could over tightening caused this? What about worn rubber blocks on the inside of the hub?

The wheel is ruined, and I grabbed one off eBay this morning. I don't want a repeat.

And, thanks for the replies.

·
38,103 Posts
Getting the #8 spacer backwards is the common cause of that bearing failure. I did it once myself after the spacer came out when I was getting a new tire on a trip to Arizona. I found a post on which way the spacer faces at VSRI when I got home and went out to check. It's a good thing I don't tighten the axle very hard. As long as the spacer is in the correct position, overtightening won't hurt the bearing unless you squash the inner spacer #13. Worn cush rubbers will only effect bearing #14.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, greywolf!

I am going to do a lot of fitting and inspecting before everything goes back together. I am also going to order all new bearings.

gph

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was putting my rear wheel back together after installing a new tire, and noticed that the inner bearing (the one seated in the actual wheel) had slack around it. I can see the wheel has been wallowed out a little.

I've had the wheel off a number of times, and have always been careful to get the spacers in the correct order (using a photo the first couple of times).

What caused this? :confused:
Gary I had the same problem with my 03 1000 at 6000k I had a pop in the chain when pushing it forward and backward. I thought it was the chain and sprocket needing to be replaced. I replaced all three and had a nice new drive line but still had the pop. I had the dealer look into it and they found the same bearing issue as you have so the dealer the replaced the bearings and the seals but it only lasted for another 6000k. When I took it back the second time Suzuki said it was a defect in the wheel tolerances in the hub and the bearings will spin inside over time. Suzuki replaced my rear wheel, bearings, seals, spacers, axle and shock pad. I now have 25000k and no bearing problem. Not sure of your miles, but Suzuki should replace yours the same as mine since it is a part problem with the rear wheel. Hope this helps you out! This has been the only problem I have had with this bike.....:thumbup: keepnsafe..,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Gary I had the same problem with my 03 1000 at 6000k I had a pop in the chain when pushing it forward and backward. I thought it was the chain and sprocket needing to be replaced. I replaced all three and had a nice new drive line but still had the pop. I had the dealer look into it and they found the same bearing issue as you have so the dealer the replaced the bearings and the seals but it only lasted for another 6000k. When I took it back the second time Suzuki said it was a defect in the wheel tolerances in the hub and the bearings will spin inside over time. Suzuki replaced my rear wheel, bearings, seals, spacers, axle and shock pad. I now have 25000k and no bearing problem. Not sure of your miles, but Suzuki should replace yours the same as mine since it is a part problem with the rear wheel. Hope this helps you out! This has been the only problem I have had with this bike.....:thumbup: keepnsafe..,

Thanks! I am sporting a slightly used '07 wheel now, but if it was an '03 problem, I can quit worrying about what might have caused the problem and that it will happen again.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
120 Posts
To keep track of the direction and orientation of parts for next time, especially if you have to deal with this out on the road if you get a flat, take some paint and paint one end of the spacers to show which side goes toward the wheel. For example, paint the wheel-half of the spacers red.

Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Realize this is a 2010 thread but the symptoms described are at least close to what I'm dealing with. The symptoms surfaced after installing a popular wheel spacer kit and then likely over tightening my chain. The sprocket bearing feels fine but one or both wheel bearings may be trashed. What I'm unsure of is whether or not the long, cylindrical spacer between the two wheel bearings should have play in it or not, as the wheel sits idle off the bike. In the image below, it is labedled #13. It basically floats in between the two bearings and I'm hoping this is normal. Thanks!

Do you mean #8? You might have put it in backwards. It's the one on the right. The top part pictured should be placed toward the wheel and away from the sprocket.

·
38,103 Posts
With the wheel off the bike and horizontal, you may be able to move #13 slightly back and forth but not up and down. On the bike, #13 is squeezed tightly by the bearing inner races.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thx GW. With the wheel off, I have movement of that spacer in all directions. What does this mean, aka what needs to be replaced/repaired?

·
38,103 Posts
By all directions, do you mean in three dimensions? The spacer should be trapped by the bearings. If there is end play on the spacer, the bearings are not close together enough. I would think tightening the axle would have handled that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can't quite explain that one. Took the wheel apart; checked, greased and reassembled; reinstalled and presto-bango, smooth as butter. Twas definitely a learning experience. The movement of the center spacer was as GW described. I just needed one more beer to realize that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts