StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I swapped my rear brake pads on my '08 wee strom (non-abs) for the third time in 3 years and the two pads were worn unevenly. The inside pad had 1/8" less wear than the outside, and the outside pad (piston side) was tapered revealing uneven wear for that specific pad.
I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before? Keeping the piston and caliper assembly super clean is difficult, resulting in the piston not retracting and the pads rubbing away on the rotor... any thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Use more front brake than rear. You know you're doing it right when front and rear wear are comparable.

Clean and lubricate the sliding pins with brake grease.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hey all - I swapped my rear brake pads on my '08 wee strom (non-abs) for the third time in 3 years and the two pads were worn unevenly. The inside pad had 1/8" less wear than the outside, and the outside pad (piston side) was tapered revealing uneven wear for that specific pad.
Since the rear is a single piston caliper, I suspect that the piston isn't to blame. That caliper rides on two sliding pins, which are part of the bolts which retain it. Those must move freely; if they bind, uneven wear may result.

I would remove the caliper, clean thorougly those pins and their receptables, grease them well, and reassemble. This is easy work (well under half an hour) and doesn't require draining the system.

While you're at it, you can do the same for the caliper holders in front. Those ride on a separate bracket with pins which allow the caliper to slide laterally. To separate them from the caliper after removing the two mounting bolts, just peel back the rubber boots and pop them off (the service manual does not make this at all clear, but it's very easy once you see how they fit together).

Doing this stuff when you change brake pads is easy and makes good sense. I had a problem just like yours on the front left caliper. I did clean everything and replace the piston seals, but I'm betting the sliding pins were binding, and that was actually the problem.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Brakes get hot and can cause petroleum based grease to melt and run. Brake grease, normally silicone based, will not run.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Brakes get hot and can cause petroleum based grease to melt and run. Brake grease, normally silicone based, will not run.
Thanks for that tip. I found some synthetic high-temp caliper grease at the local auto parts store. Took the calipers and pads off, and the Bel Ray still looks fine. I cleaned it all off and replaced it with a thin layer of caliper grease anyway.

I do notice, though, that almost all the pins -- caliper retainers, brake pad retainers, etc. -- have deep, uneven grooves worn in them. There is also more visible "flex" in the caliper when braking pressure is applied than seems ideal.

I did replace the piston seals, but it's probably not worth spending any more money on these calipers; I'll replace them the next time they need service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rear Brakes

Thanks everyone for the tips, just greased up the pins tonight and all looks good.

One hiccup - went to screw in the rear caliper mounting bolt and it was bent! It must have taken a hit and now I can't thread it straight through to reassemble the caliper. A new bolt (which his cheap) should solve this but I'm hoping that I didn't strip any of the inner threads of the housing trying to initially get it back in...

Just curious to know if this has ever happened to anyone or you've heard of it happening?

ac

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hit by a Disc Lock perhaps

Hit by a Disc Lock perhaps

I did that on my EX250 - bent the mounting plate

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
One hiccup - went to screw in the rear caliper mounting bolt and it was bent! It must have taken a hit and now I can't thread it straight through to reassemble the caliper. A new bolt (which his cheap) should solve this but I'm hoping that I didn't strip any of the inner threads of the housing trying to initially get it back in...

Just curious to know if this has ever happened to anyone or you've heard of it happening?
I had a significant amount of trouble getting the forward (14mm head) caliper mounting pin reinserted. It really wants to cross-thread, and it takes patience to avoid that. I found a thread (pun!) somewhere recently which discussed this, an apparently common problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts