StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you go to a 160 on the rear tire on this std rim?

If you can, is there any reason not to, like handling or safety?

thanks,

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes you can put a 160 on the rear, other than how it MIGHT make the bike feel different under turning situations and the higher cost of a 160 vs. a 150 there should be not real issues.
You will need to accommodate the difference in tire height if you go from a 150/70 to say a 160/70 it will make the bike turn in quicker due to the rear end being raised.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another thing, I would think you would limit your choice of tires when changing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points you each mention and that is what I was looking for...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
All V-Stroms have 4" wide rear wheels so the question applies to all models. I had a 160/60 Michelin Pilot Road rear tire on my bike once and and the more extreme the lean angle got, the more vague the bike felt. While the wider tire is in the acceptable range for a 4" rim, it is not optimal. The change in the angle the rubber makes with the road in a turn when the bead is narrower did not inspire confidence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All V-Stroms have 4" wide rear wheels so the question applies to all models. I had a 160/60 Michelin Pilot Road rear tire on my bike once and and the more extreme the lean angle got, the more vague the bike felt. While the wider tire is in the acceptable range for a 4" rim, it is not optimal. The change in the angle the rubber makes with the road in a turn when the bead is narrower did not inspire confidence.
Thanks, sounds like the many reasons not to, clearly outweigh my preference for wider tires for appearances....:frown2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts