StromTrooper banner

Rear Tire Preference

3922 Views 20 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  ozart
I need to replace the rear tire on my 06' wee and need advice on which tire to get. I have Metzler tires on the bike now, and am considering Michellin Road 2 as I've heard the dual compound lasts longer and I have a friend that can get employee pricing on certain brands, but I'm open to the expert advice on this forum.

I ride 12-16K per year, all in town and freeway, never off road.

Also, need front brakes, again after about 10-12K and was hoping to get advice on which ones are the best for the money.He recommended "Braking" or EBC, which are on the bike now.

ANY help would be great!

Ride safe!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
I put a set of Pilot road 2's on my Vee when the OEM's wore out. I loved them. Any of the 100% street options are going to blow away the OEM's on the street. I was able to slide the rear end on several occasions (on the street) with the OEM's (I was dragging parts but surely not trying to slide the bike) I will say that it slid very perdictably. Was never able to slide the pilot roads and the turn in was much more responsive. (better turn in is sometimes simply because you replaced old flat centered tires with new ones)

I plan to go with them again on the wee when the time comes (no off road here either.)

· Registered
656 Posts
ran the pilot road 2 on a different bike and loved them. took them off and gave them to my brother as needed a more track style tire. but they are lasting quite well. Friends get 12-15,000 km on them easialy

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Either EBC-HH or Galfer-HH pads work very well on the front. Pricing is reasonable and the performance is tops.

How do you use up your brakes that quickly? Are you wearing the old pads down to the 1 mm limit?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either EBC-HH or Galfer-HH pads work very well on the front. Pricing is reasonable and the performance is tops.

How do you use up your brakes that quickly? Are you wearing the old pads down to the 1 mm limit?
Not sure how they wear out that quickly? I ride moderately downshifting most of the time.

I will price both of the ones' you mentioned.

Thanks alot for the advice

· Registered
674 Posts
Is anyone actually selling the PR2 or PR3 michelin's in appropriate sizes? I had not found them anywhere other than massively backordered. Reports surfaced of some quality control issues and conspiracy theory said Michelin was plugging the pipeline while they worked out the problem.

· Registered
12,480 Posts
going darkside is a big jump, the only BIG advantage it gives you is winter snow & ice riding, other than that, it performs pretty much on par with a bike tire, steering is heavier, no different than if you put a 200/50 bike tire on back

if you don't ride in winter snow & ice, the car tire is not worth the other minor improvements and that heavier handling (somewhat more cruiserish) unless you want a tire that will last as long as you own the bike maybe 25k, 40k, I've heard reports of 100k tires

actually, the reson for my post, in recent tire research, I've learned the new Pilot Road 3 has sipes, :thumbup: I think that the sipes my car tire has is one of the big reasons for traction in slippery going

a 19" front and I'll get one

· Registered
6 Posts
Is anyone actually selling the PR2 or PR3 michelin's in appropriate sizes? I had not found them anywhere other than massively backordered. Reports surfaced of some quality control issues and conspiracy theory said Michelin was plugging the pipeline while they worked out the problem.
I just purchased a 150-70 17" Michelin Pilot Road 3 from bike bandit. I just had it mounted and balanced today.

· Registered
77 Posts
I've learned the new Pilot Road 3 has sipes, :thumbup: I think that the sipes my car tire has is one of the big reasons for traction in slippery going

a 19" front and I'll get one
Interesting tire. Who would of thunk to make a motorcycle tire out of two different compounds. A soft compound for the tread shoulders and a wear resistant compound down the middle.

Good Stuff.

Michelin Pilot Road 3 Dual Compound Tire | Motorcycle Safety News

· Registered
1,046 Posts
I like my BT-023. I am on my 2nd one now, got 12K miles out of my 1st. It is a dual compound also I believe. Less $$$ than PR2's. Sticks a lot better in corners than OEM's but so do all the road tires. I use a PR on the front as you can't get a BT-023 in a 19".

· Registered
3,923 Posts
I like my BT-023. I am on my 2nd one now, got 12K miles out of my 1st. It is a dual compound also I believe. Less $$$ than PR2's. Sticks a lot better in corners than OEM's but so do all the road tires. I use a PR on the front as you can't get a BT-023 in a 19".
The BT-021 is the best rear tire I've ran so far - made the horrible mistake of replacing it with a battlewing. I'm abusing it every chance I get to accelerate the wear and replace it with a 23.

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
I'm a Michelin man, myself. I have a relative who works in Michelin QC. Very impressive. I explore the occasional unpaved road, and stopped looking at others after spooning on some Anakee 2s. Road only, I would be sitting atop Pilot Road i. Had PR 1s and 2s before moving to FL. :thumbup:

· Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
527 Posts
Agreed about the HH pads. I like the Galfer but haven't tried the EBC.

For 100% road use those Pilot 2 sound like a solid choice and the Bridgestone BT021 (BT022?) are also very good sport-touring tires that, like the Pilot 2, emphasize the Sport in Sport-touring, good in rain and last about 10k or more.

If you'll venture off road, even a little, why not another rear Tourance (not EXP)?

· Registered
12 Posts
Not a fan of Road Attacks

I'm on my second rear tire with the conti, I thought it was maybe my lack of tire pressure monitoring that caused the first one to show threads at 5k so I gave them a second chance. Bad idea, here I am again at 6k (little better pressure monitoring) and we are almost gone. I too am looking at the Pilot 3, they do make the front tire in our size, so says Dennis Kirk, but good luck finding them in stock anywhere. :headbang:

· Registered
524 Posts
In addition to the BT-023 I see that the Bridgestone BT-45 also has a rear tire that fits.

Anyone used the BT-45? It is considerably less expensive than the newer BT-023 and would like to know if their are any drawbacks I need to know about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.