StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t understand why my rear tire mileage varies so much. My application is a DL1000, typical riding load about 250 lbs (rider + bags), 90% street, ambient temps ranged from 0 to 30 C (32 to 86 F). My riding is a 80-20 mix of highway and commuting; the highway riding avgs 130 km/ h (80 mph). Tire pressures follow manuf recoms. Actual rear tire mileage:
• OEM TrailWing 12,000 km (8,000 miles)
• BattleWing 4,800 km (not even 3,000 miles)
• Shinko 705 (bias ply) 5,900 km (3,500 miles)

All these tires were subjected to exactly the same riding conditions. Is this normal?

With this history I’m thinking of going back to the TrailWings.

Peter

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
My experience Trailwing vs Battlewing rear: slightly more with the BW.

Wee, mixed riding, some hi speed interstate: approx. 10000 mi for either tire.

·
Registered
192 Posts
05 1000
Agressive street rider about 230 lbs with gear and bags.
Stock Wings 7500
Anakee ones 7000
Tourances look new at 2500.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Metzler Tourance (just replaced yesterday):
F: 20,000 miles
R: 10,000 miles

The rear had a lot of tread left in places but a bad highway strip down the middle from too much interstate so I replaced it anyway. Could have gotten several thousand more easily. The front was just plain gone.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I got about 24000 or so km out of the stock tires. I replaced with Battlewings. I now have about 14,000km on them, and they are holing up VERY well. The rear especially so. No where near the wear bars yet.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I can’t understand why my rear tire mileage varies so much. My application is a DL1000, typical riding load about 250 lbs (rider + bags), 90% street, ambient temps ranged from 0 to 30 C (32 to 86 F). My riding is a 80-20 mix of highway and commuting; the highway riding avgs 130 km/ h (80 mph). Tire pressures follow manuf recoms. Actual rear tire mileage:
• OEM TrailWing 12,000 km (8,000 miles)
• BattleWing 4,800 km (not even 3,000 miles)
• Shinko 705 (bias ply) 5,900 km (3,500 miles)

All these tires were subjected to exactly the same riding conditions. Is this normal?

With this history I’m thinking of going back to the TrailWings.

Peter
strange, my tire life has been much more consistent even though my riding is inconsistent, varying from rural errand running, long distance highway, winter snow & ice and off road, very little urban or suburban riding

original TW -7000miles
Conti Road Attack 7000miles
Karoo T @ 35psi 5000 miles
Karoo T @ 42psi 7500 miles
D-607 6000 miles
Maxxis Detour 6000 miles
Conti Trail attack 10000 (did a bbg on this tire clocked over 4k highway miles in 4 days)
studded Karoo T 2500 miles (still has 60% wear left)
I just mounted a TKC80, only 500 miles so far

I was most disapointed in the D-607, a friend runs them on his 1200 GS Adventure and gets 15k+ miles

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My mileage report;
Pirelli Scorpion Syncs 4000 miles. Great stick tho.
Bridgestone BT-021 5000 miles. OK stick. Got worse as tire wore.
Bridgestone BattleWing 4000 miles. OK.
Michelin Anakees (multiple sets) 5-7000 miles. Good stick
Michelin Pilot Roads (multiple sets) 5-8000 miles. Excellent stick
Michelin Pilot Road2 8000 miles. Hard miles. Excellent stick

Most of my miles are spent playing in the mountains with the sportbikes, commuting and my annual 5000 mile vacation trip. The guys that get 10k+ miles must be very light on the throttle.

Currently I have a Scorpion Trail on the front and a Pilot Road rear. I may try the Angel ST next.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
I can count on more than 20,000 km with rear (non EX) tourance tires, and got about 17,000 km from the original stock. Fronts last double the rear.

I run around 42 psi in the rear, and 40ish up front. I'm 245 lbs and some people say I ride aggressively.

Now this is on a DL650 so you would likely get a bit less.

..Tom

·
Registered
482 Posts
Photo's

Everybody's idea of what a "worn out" tire looks like is different, and this is why you get the very obnoxious....

:worthless:

emoticon.

Unless you fancy yourself as Troy Bayliss, you will have to ride it squared off, which is fine for a everyday use motorcycle tire. I want to see a photo of one of these sub 4,000 mile tires. I doubt they look anything like my original Trail Wing with over 14K miles...just guessing.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Everybody's idea of what a "worn out" tire looks like is different, and this is why you get the very obnoxious....

emoticon.

Unless you fancy yourself as Troy Bayliss, you will have to ride it squared off, which is fine for a everyday use motorcycle tire. I want to see a photo of one of these sub 4,000 mile tires. I doubt they look anything like my original Trail Wing with over 14K miles...just guessing.

Good point -- there's a lot of personal variation. I rarely hit the wear bars before I replace tires, and some of these guys don't really consider a tire done until there's at least an inch of cord showing all the way around.

Many times, I'll order up new tires a month or two before I need them, and replace them whenever it's convenient rather than wait for that last mm of tread to disappear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have pics of the tires. On the TW, I rode till there was about 1 mm of tread left. I (naively) figured it was good for one more 800 km trip, and when I returned from that, there was about 10 inches of cord showing. :yikes:

So my new policy is that once I get down to 1 mm or so, the tire's a goner. Yes, I might get a little more mileage out of it, but I figure it's just not worth the risk.

Believe me I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on tires; I'm very interested in maxing-out whatever mileage I can get.

Peter

·
Registered
853 Posts

emoticon.

8,880 miles rear Tourance on a DL650

7,051 miles rear Tourance same bike

I currently have a Shinko 705 mounted with 4,377 miles on it and I doubt it will see 5k.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I genberally consider a tire done when it gets to the wear bars, especialy I am usually commuting so, I never know when I might end up riding in a thunder storm.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I currently have a Shinko 705 mounted with 4,377 miles on it and I doubt it will see 5k.
We have about the same miles on the Shinko's, roughly 4,200 for me.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
Road surfaces can have a huge effect on tire life.

A co-worker left Toronto area in his older Carrera Coupe. Based on his past tire wear he had plenty of tire life left to get to Arizona and back but his tires were worn out when he got down there. He always kept on top of tire pressures but the tires wore out twice as quickly as expected.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Heat is the reason for tire wear, the more heat the faster the wear.

Friction is the largest contributor to heat, the more friction, the more heat.

There are many causes of friction, including tire pressure, braking forces, accelerating forces, cornering forces, tire alignment, weight on tire, road surface compound, road surface condition, tire compound, tread design, etc.

Most of the friction contributors are user controllable, some are not.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Most of the friction contributors are user controllable, some are not.
:fineprint: I didn't pave the roads around here with chip seal granite :confused: nor did I spread sharp granite crush 'n run on all the forest roads.

I'm easy on the rear brake, I don't do wheelies or burnouts, I keep my tires up to spec on psi, it's only 650 for Pete's sake there's not much power to begin with!

....but I guess it is user controllable....I could just leave it in the garage! :thumbdown:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts