StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on my 18 1000xt there seems to be a humming noise from the rear tire. It sounds like a snow or mud tire on a on dry pavement. I've checked my chain tension, and alignment and they seem ok. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've noticed on my 18 1000xt there seems to be a humming noise from the rear tire. It sounds like a snow or mud tire on a on dry pavement. I've checked my chain tension, and alignment and they seem ok. Any thoughts ?
Is your chain properly lubricated, and have you rotated the chain slowing and looked for any kinks or tight spots in the chain. Also, do you clean your chain perodically?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your chain properly lubricated, and have you rotated the chain slowing and looked for any kinks or tight spots in the chain. Also, do you clean your chain perodically?
Yes Ive lubed the chain a few time, and cleaned it. Bike has 1k miles on it now.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have the same hum from my front tire. I purchased in 2014 DL1000 '14 model and after one week put Michelin Pilot Road 4, and hum started immediately. When I sold the bike in September 2017, it was on its 3rd front Michelin PR4 and the hum has never changed. Then I purchased '18 model DL1000 and on my request it came new with PR4 front and rear, and guess what, the hum is there, again.
So, from my point of view, it's tire related. In my case it was always PR4 front and rear but the hum is only coming from the front.
By the way, PR4 comes only in "Trail" version for the front and for the rear you can choose between "Trail" and "non-Trail". I've always had "non-Trail" on the rear and no hum. So, it must be because of "Trail" version of front tire.

·
Administrator
16,947 Posts
Normally I would say to wear earplugs, but I won't do that this time.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
True, I always wear my earplugs (after 30 years of riding without them) and I hear the hum only if I ride 1-2 km's to a gas station or friend's house. On those ocasions I don't use earplugs. As for the rest of my riding, which is every single day, plugs in and I forget completely about hum and the rest of bike´s noises.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If chain, alignment, bearings and tire pressure all check out, I would consider it normal. Especially if it's a Michelin, they tend to be noisier but also last longer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have Pilot 4's, on my second set. The trail version does produce a hum/whine and a bit of vibration I've found. The trade off is great contact to the road, ability to lean even further and fantastic in the rain. I noticed as the tires wear the sound does lessen. I wonder why its so difficult for Michelin to produce a non-trail 19" tire for the Pilot 4's?

·
Registered
318 Posts
The tires that I run are Hiedenau K60 and they don't hum, they literally sing! Lots of noise from those guys, but love the tires and figure they love me since they are singing to me! >:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think my bike came with Bridgestone battle wing 501 and 502 front and rear. I just lubed the chain again this morning checked the alignment with a laser and all is good there. I'll ride it again and see if i hear it. I did set the slack on the chain to 1 inch.

Thanks for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts