StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am planning a tire change for a trip in Iceland, I need a set that can do well on road for 4000+km and give me some confidence on dirt roads. I have an option for either a Karoo 3 / Heidenau K60 set or a mix with one of the above in the front and a more street oriented tire for the rear.

I narrowed down to these:

Mitas E08
FullBore M-40
Heidenau K76
Michelin Anakee II
Michelin Anakee III
Metzeler Tourance

Anything I should be aware of if I go for a mix?
Can you give me an idea of the mileage for the rear ones?

Thanks!
Tk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I heard there were delamination problems with the Shinko 705 bias and recently also radial... I can't get Shinko here so easily, so that was not even a choice. But I read on ADV the Fullbore M-40 (radial) had similar problems... it was a R1200GSA, two-up with gear and hot temp. Then something similar for the Mitas here , AfricaTwin 2-up fully loaded 150kmh...
the posts are a bit old, are there any recent quality issues with the Mitas and the full-bore among strommers?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Bridgestone Battleax Adventure A40 is an upgrade over the Battlewings, and probably better than the older Tourance. (I look to the newest tires on the market for the latest innovations in casing, rubber compounds, tread design.)

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Scorpion Trails.

Personally I'd suggest the K60's front and rear, they last well and they aren't that bad on seal. Admitted they aren't as good as a full on road tire, but for a compromise tire very good and very good life.,

Pete

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
I heard there were delamination problems with the Shinko 705 bias and recently also radial... I can't get Shinko here so easily, so that was not even a choice. But I read on ADV the Fullbore M-40 (radial) had similar problems... it was a R1200GSA, two-up with gear and hot temp. Then something similar for the Mitas here , AfricaTwin 2-up fully loaded 150kmh...
the posts are a bit old, are there any recent quality issues with the Mitas and the full-bore among strommers?
I run them......have multiple friends that run them "and we run them hard", we have no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scorpion Trails.

Personally I'd suggest the K60's front and rear, they last well and they aren't that bad on seal. Admitted they aren't as good as a full on road tire, but for a compromise tire very good and very good life.,

Pete
what about noise/vibration, anything at low-mid speed on seal like the Karoo3 ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I run a K60 rear TKC80 front and unless you are rolling slowly on chip-seal, they are not bad at all for vibration or noise, but I also wear earplugs so...

I have had zero issues, and have run them on the interstate for hours, rain, snow, mud, sand etc... That being said I know there are limitations and I don't push them on tarmac. Even on the interstate, 65 is about where I like to hang out but rarely am I in a hurry.

The only situation where the front gets a little lively is at speed with a cross or head wind, but honestly, the bike is so hacked it could be a combination of things.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I heard there were delamination problems with the Shinko 705 bias and recently also radial... I can't get Shinko here so easily, so that was not even a choice.
I've gone through two 705 rears and the original front to still on, no problem at all

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shinko are not really an option since it is not so easy (read cheap) to find them here (North Europe). I can have a set of K60 for 200$ and Karoo3 for 190$...

I found this comparison of the two, which is quite interesting... I am not really happy with this tendency of the Karoo3 to fall into the corner. I am worried about riding full-geared into strong crosswind (lots of them from here to destination) at high speed on highway. The Wee is already not the best in terms of handling the wind... Moreover I ride most of the time to commute on a straight highway, so this trip would be the first in a long time (and the first with this bike) where I am going to find some nice twisties, I think I prefer some more predictable tire when leaning...

Anyone with the Karoo3 found the same leaning behaviour?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having travelled most of Argentina, I would fit TKC80 and leave them on all the time. Work very well on pavement as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was at the NYC Motorcycle show spoke to 2 different tire reps both said the same thing if your riding 60% on road 40% off road go with Mitas. Anything above those percentages go with hidenau. I met several people who really like the Hidenau.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I was at the NYC Motorcycle show spoke to 2 different tire reps both said the same thing if your riding 60% on road 40% off road go with Mitas. Anything above those percentages go with hidenau. I met several people who really like the Hidenau.
not sure how to interpret those recommendations, I ride nearly 100% on road, however about 50% of those roads are gravel

I am currently running Mitas E07 Dakars, I don't particularly like them in wet, when they are worn, I won't be getting another set, I really liked Karoo Ts, but Metzeler doesn't make em anymore. I'm debating my next set of tires between Karoo MKEs or Karoo 3s

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok so basically you ride 50/50. You are on road 100% but 50% of the time the road is rough 50% the road is smooth. So using those numbers and what the reps were telling me I would buy the Mitas. I am not familiar with the tires you mentioned so I can not help you with them. Sorry good luck and let me know what you learn it may help me when I am ready to buy but as of now I am leaning toward the Hidenaus

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Ok so basically you ride 50/50. You are on road 100% but 50% of the time the road is rough 50% the road is smooth. So using those numbers and what the reps were telling me I would buy the Mitas. I am not familiar with the tires you mentioned so I can not help you with them. Sorry good luck and let me know what you learn it may help me when I am ready to buy but as of now I am leaning toward the Hidenaus
I live in New England, paved doesn't mean smooth

which Mitas were the sales people trying to talk you into, the E07s or the E10s

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
155 Posts
E07. I will probably get the Hidenau's because I live in NY about 65 miles northwest of nyc and smooth roads and last years NEVA was the first time I road off road and loved it. I want to do more riding off road but I have to be realistic so that's why I chose the Hidenau's I heard from others that these tires get great mileage. I have rode in your state and it is beautiful.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Nothing that's annoyed ME. They are noisier than the PR-4's I have on now, but all in all I preferred them. My preferred riding is nasty narrow back roads and being able to just step off the seal and have grip is such a big win there that I can live with the weaknesses they do have.

Pete

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I like -no- i love my oem tires :)

I tried heidenau's k60 scout and HATED them on pavement, they were loooud and slippery, front tire kept wanting to wobble, but they did make look like a pro in soft sand, light mud and heavy gravel.

I'm curious about the new A40s performance.

The Anakees 3 have been calling me for some time, i'm seriously considering going michelin in 2016 because i heard good things from a fellow vstrom owner, and i'm very partial to the brand.

...and i enjoy chasing sport bikes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts