StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first go-around using PhotoBucket, so forgive any errors you might find.....:fineprint:

I just changed out my rear skin and figured, what the heck, I will try doing a tutorial. Hopefully some find it helpful.

This is intended for those that have at least minimal mechanical skills, but perhaps have been leary about changing their own tires. Safety precautions should be taken such as safety glass's and mechanics gloves. An extra set of hands can be of benefit as well.

I have been changing my own tires forever, and I dont worry about nicks in the wheel finish. If you are worried about nicks, scratches, etc it might be in your best interest to leave this to the pro's.

Anyhew, here it is:

Pictures by rcacs - Photobucket

Hopefully it is of some use to others...:hurray:

Cheers

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wow! That is a big clamp.

I never thought to break the bead BEFORE removing the wheel. Way better
idea.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that makes things much easier as well...

cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
I changed my 1st one a month ago. Easy peasy.

Anyway a couple of questions and an advice, for which you need a text to be tutorial. Like photo #12, I am doing so and so.

Questions, what is the wooden wedge for? The one is in the tire beside an iron?
Why breaking the bead like you did gives advantages, cannot see them.

For breaking beads clamps rule, they are in every hardware store, much cheaper than breakers, can be used for something else, work equally good.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As I stated, this was my first go with PhotoBucket. However, if you click on the first picture, it will enlarge and then you will see the text. Just click the "next" for the rest of the pics.

The "wedge" I think you are referring to is actually a piece of cardboard made into a flat funnel for pouring in the Dyna Beads.

If you have any questions after seeing my text, feel free to comment.

Cheers!

·
Registered
213 Posts
As I stated, this was my first go with PhotoBucket. However, if you click on the first picture, it will enlarge and then you will see the text. Just click the "next" for the rest of the pics.

The "wedge" I think you are referring to is actually a piece of cardboard made into a flat funnel for pouring in the Dyna Beads.

If you have any questions after seeing my text, feel free to comment.

Cheers!
Yes, I have not seen the text, now I do, thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, wish I've read more carefully. I had big problems getting the final bit on and only after advice from a guy I had the rim in the middle of the wheel on the opposite side of where the final bit was, and then I managed. But I made some ugly marks on the wheel as well as made a crack in the rubber when I was trying. Hopefully, I did not destroy the tyre.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the great step by step pictures! Took me a 10 min. To get the rear wheel off, much easier than my ST. Putting a new tire on in the AM, hope it goes on just as easy as it came off.
Wheel with tire went on just as easy as it came off. A 2x6 worked perfect to get the wheel at the right height to line everything up for the axle to push through with just a little bumping from the palm of my hand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks.

I will be attempting this for the first time in the near future and your tutorial will be a huge help.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Great write up.

Renew the valve stem every few years. The rubber stems get dry and crack. Metal stems have a rubber gasket that lives a long time, but they dry out and crack, also.

Just to emphasize, note the dropped center of the rim. Get one bead over the rim. Get the other bead half way on, then push those two beads together and down into the dropped center to get the space to get the final part of the bead over the rim.

·
Registered
75 Posts
rear wheel removal

RCACS from Canada -- Thank you for an outstannding photo tutorial! I will remove the rear wheel and take it to the local shop for the tire change, saving $50 per wheel. Replacing front and rear wheel bearings with double sealed bearings sounds like a good investment. I'll reverse the axle from the stock position, as you have done in order ensure the brake caliper is in the holding slot. I suppose removing the front wheel is easy compared to the rear. Regards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts