StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I was in the process of cleaning and greasing the rear suspension linkage needle bearings, and to my surprise when I removed the linkage arms there is nothing to keep dirt from entering the needle bearings where the linkage bolts to the lever assembly. I checked the schematic for some kind of seal that I was missing, and it did not show any type of seal to prevent dirt from getting into the needle bearings. Anyone run into this? Help!
Bill

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There is no seal. It's a low velocity bearing with a very short arc of throw. It really isn't needed.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Unless

No seal needed unless you happen to submerge the linkage. Goes to show the darned things aren't real dirt bikes. If those needles get corroded, the bearing is shot. Used waterproof grease when lubing mine, in the hope that that will hold off the problem (though I rarely ride in the rain, or through deep water). But woulda been nice to see o-rings protecting the bearings against dirt incursion. Most such linkages generate a great deal of force at the pivot points, so any lube failure is likely to lead to bearing failure pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If your really worried about it you can drill tap and install a Zerk. But Greywolf is right there is no real need.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A zerk fitting is not a good idea. The needles run between 2 tubes. You would have to drill through the outer one and deburr the inside properly to start with. Then the grease would just go between 2 or three needles and pass out the ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts