StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 VStrom 650 with almost 20k miles on it, bought late last season. I feel like the ride has gotten a bit rougher in the last couple weeks. Turns out I've been riding the bike with maximum rear preload. I realize preload doesn't magically stiffen/soften the shock, it's more about damping, but I still wanted to get the preload closer to the middle of its range. There's a knob you can turn to adjust rear preload, it's the knobby thing next to bolt 22:

I couldn't for the life of me turn the thing. So I removed the bolt holding the knob in place, and a small spring shot out and was instantly lost to the sands of time. I then used a 14mm socket wrench to loosen the bastard, after which I replaced the knob sans spring, and could hand-turn it just fine. Question is, what was that spring doing there, and is my bike going to mysteriously fall apart on my next ride?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
It's supposed to click? Well, guess there's going to be some more "bonding" time for me & the DL. :headbang:

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
It will be stiff if you don't use it occasionally. The little springs and ball bearings will go flying if you aren't careful. To re-assemble, use a spot of grease on the balls and springs to hold them in place. Then it works mo bettah!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts