StromTrooper banner

Rear suspension - failure

5K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  nvr2old 
#1 ·
Hi all, been a decade or so... I have a DL1000 A1 (09/18). Today I experienced a complete failure of the rear suspension. Anyone else seen this?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#49 ·
The pic is small but it looks like the dark layer may have been a crack or casting defect. You can see the break “layer” looks like fresh aluminium with an area above that is darker as though affected by elemental exposure over a longer period of time. Wondering about the possibility that a corrosion seized bearing placed a repetitive small bending load on a part that is only intended for compression and tension loads.....

#50 ·

Let us hope this image is not too distressing @daturley and that it passes the censors ;) . Bottom left s
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Wood Tints and shades
hould be connected to top right of course...

The good news is that Suzuki GB have folded and will pay to replace the rear suspension and labour. I still need to recover other damages e.g. $150 to get it to my dealership, time off work and and my travel expenses due to lack of transport. I'm sure they'll be more than willing ... I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the input Stromer's. Best wishes and safe rides.

#52 ·
@Brockie if they had not stepped up I would have taken them to court, I have outstanding expenses still. There was "apparently" some resistance, but the engineers (educated) won out on behalf of reason. I'll get back on, but may well sell this manufacturer's bike in search of something else. No manufacturer is a friend, remember they are all after a capitalist profit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.