StromTrooper banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks notacop, and the guy who recovered me had never seen a steel link strap like that break. I'm not even sure I want the repaired bike back at the moment. 5 minutes earlier I was doing 70mph (legally) on a duel-carriageway in the UK. Could have been very messy for both ass-ends ;) ... It may be a one-off but I'd like some serious scientists looking into that component at Suzuki. Recall should be an option.
I'm curious, I talk about a steel strap, but others talk about aluminium. Looking at my photo it does look like Al. I've tried to confirm the material but to no avail. Not sure either metal could have been so damaged in under 3 years (including the lock-down of doom) to have produced this failure. Anyway, thanks to all for your feedback, concerns and opinions (even if I disagree :) )

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I'm curious, I talk about a steel strap, but others talk about aluminium. Looking at my photo it does look like Al. I've tried to confirm the material but to no avail. Not sure either metal could have been so damaged in under 3 years (including the lock-down of doom) to have produced this failure. Anyway, thanks to all for your feedback, concerns and opinions (even if I disagree :) )
A magnet would confirm the material ;)

• Haha
Reactions: twostime

·
Registered
43 Posts
They switched to an aluminum solid dog bone link for this generation of Vstrom 1000's. It's a solid aluminum piece and the cushion links (2 triangular pieces on both sides) are steel.

Could be a defective piece that was cast/machined bad.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Looks like a bad aluminum casting to me, sitting here on the other side of an ocean with only a censored (LOL), darksome, postage stamp size image to ponder. If you examine the surfaces more closely, you might be able to find evidence of the original crack or void.

IOW, you somehow got a defective part. It was defective from the factory, and failing to keep it squeaky-clean did not harm it.

It's very rare, but it does happen. The original swingarm on my DL1000 had a couple of bad welds that were one good bump away from trying to kill me. Defects happen with all brands.

If you want to make it your life's mission to punish Suzuki, feel free to do so; that will take up a lot of time you could be out riding. In the meantime, order up a new part, inspect it carefully, replace it, and move on. If you have the equivalent of a lemon law over there, perhaps you could force Suzuki to buy it back if you're too spooked to ride it. Or perhaps it's still under warranty?

As others have noted, make sure the bearings are not seized on either end -- this part must only be loaded in tension, with no bending.

That amount of filth and corrosion is nothing, and it certainly will not make beefy aluminum parts break in two in a few months. If I had to attend to my bike's undercarriage with special unguents to keep it sparkly clean so it won't crumble in a few months... well, I probably would not get much riding done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Looks like a bad aluminum casting to me, sitting here on the other side of an ocean with only a censored (LOL), darksome, postage stamp size image to ponder. If you examine the surfaces more closely, you might be able to find evidence of the original crack or void.

IOW, you somehow got a defective part. It was defective from the factory, and failing to keep it squeaky-clean did not harm it.

It's very rare, but it does happen. The original swingarm on my DL1000 had a couple of bad welds that were one good bump away from trying to kill me. Defects happen with all brands.

If you want to make it your life's mission to punish Suzuki, feel free to do so; that will take up a lot of time you could be out riding. In the meantime, order up a new part, inspect it carefully, replace it, and move on. If you have the equivalent of a lemon law over there, perhaps you could force Suzuki to buy it back if you're too spooked to ride it. Or perhaps it's still under warranty?

As others have noted, make sure the bearings are not seized on either end -- this part must only be loaded in tension, with no bending.

That amount of filth and corrosion is nothing, and it certainly will not make beefy aluminum parts break in two in a few months. If I had to attend to my bike's undercarriage with special unguents to keep it sparkly clean so it won't crumble in a few months... well, I probably would not get much riding done.
Brilliant response, thank you bwringer. As I said to my oldest mate here in the UK, I'll be back on soonish, same bike, new part but with observations similar to yours in mind. It does take a bit of processing to get over what could have been an "unpleasant" experience :) Not wanting to punish Suzuki at all, and given what many others have said, this does just seem like bad luck and that any idea of recall is probably just my nervous reaction "in the moment". That perhaps over-reaction just honestly stated on behalf of anyone riding. Safe journeys to you all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
They switched to an aluminum solid dog bone link for this generation of Vstrom 1000's. It's a solid aluminum piece and the cushion links (2 triangular pieces on both sides) are steel.

Could be a defective piece that was cast/machined bad.
Thanks for clarifying YevZak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The pic is small but it looks like the dark layer may have been a crack or casting defect. You can see the break “layer” looks like fresh aluminium with an area above that is darker as though affected by elemental exposure over a longer period of time. Wondering about the possibility that a corrosion seized bearing placed a repetitive small bending load on a part that is only intended for compression and tension loads.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

Let us hope this image is not too distressing @daturley and that it passes the censors ;) . Bottom left s
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Wood Tints and shades
hould be connected to top right of course...

The good news is that Suzuki GB have folded and will pay to replace the rear suspension and labour. I still need to recover other damages e.g. $150 to get it to my dealership, time off work and and my travel expenses due to lack of transport. I'm sure they'll be more than willing ... I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the input Stromer's. Best wishes and safe rides.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,179 Posts
That is great of Suzuki to step up like that. (y):thankyou:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
That is great of Suzuki to step up like that. (y):thankyou:
@Brockie if they had not stepped up I would have taken them to court, I have outstanding expenses still. There was "apparently" some resistance, but the engineers (educated) won out on behalf of reason. I'll get back on, but may well sell this manufacturer's bike in search of something else. No manufacturer is a friend, remember they are all after a capitalist profit.

·
Registered
631 Posts
@Brockie if they had not stepped up I would have taken them to court, I have outstanding expenses still. There was "apparently" some resistance, but the engineers (educated) won out on behalf of reason. I'll get back on, but may well sell this manufacturer's bike in search of something else. No manufacturer is a friend, remember they are all after a capitalist profit.
The ENGINEERS likely shat themselves. No MFG wants pictures like that testifying to failure on the internet. I am no metallurgist, but the chunky grains of dissimilar colour & pebble roughness on the exterior smell spoiled. That should be a billet /machined part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The ENGINEERS likely shat themselves. No MFG wants pictures like that testifying to failure on the internet. I am no metallurgist, but the chunky grains of dissimilar colour & pebble roughness on the exterior smell spoiled. That should be a billet /machined part.
@TinMan88 the photo was taken minutes after failure. Let us hope it was a one-off, I believe it was. Bike back in the next couple of weeks. Very much appreciate the support here.

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
188 Posts
not reading it all answer

Suspensions by Sasquatch about $300

Has anyone on the list had contact with Sasquatch (Adventure Powersports) lately? I want to send them my shock but would like confirmation that they are still a viable business first. I've called and left a voice mail and tried to contact them through their website to no avail. Yes, they are probably just very busy but these days one never knows...

·
Premium Member
3,105 Posts
It's a 1 man business(Just Jay), yes be patient.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts