StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Never mind. OPs pictures worked. Sure looks like a lot of corrosion all over the other suspension parts. A siezed bearing can over stress a linkage. Instead of the part rotating freely in the bearing, it is flexing and eventually breaking. You don't get a recall from one failure. Your bike will be fine once the part is replaced and the rest of the suspension is inspected. I would suspect a frozen bearing.
Do you work for Suzuki? Less than 3 years old, nothing was seized on the bike's rear suspension. There is no corrosion. Feel free to experience this yourself, and discover whether street furniture or trees' physics work in the same way with your body. This is catastrophic failure imho. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree, it looks like aluminum and it does look very corroded, also lots of rust under there for a 3 year old bike. If there is salt on the roads you need to rinse it underneath with fresh water regularly. Sucks that it happened, but good that you didn’t crash. I’d take it to a dealership, especially if you bought it from one, and get a Suzuki rep involved, they might take care of it. As far as not wanting it back, that’s a personal decision, but once it is repaired and inspected it should be as good or better than before. Good luck!
JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,179 Posts
Glad you survived that moment Twostime. I would also recommend refering it to your Suzuki dealer and hopefully they might be sympathetic. Maybe they might be keen on a metallurgy analysis to find out exactly what occurred.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
59 Posts
T

By the looks of your undercarriage this bike does not look like its well taken care off especially in the conditions you ride.
First have you ever heard of S100 - look into it buy some and use it regularly its a great product I use it around all the mechanicals and undercarriage of my bike and it does a great job without much effort (spray and hose off)
I sympathize with you regarding the incident but like numerous people have said this is not a normal case - get the bike fixed and go ride again. I would ask your dealer to reach out to Suzuki - if not you can do it yourself on their web site not sure what they will say but it would be interesting to get their response

·
Vendor
6,007 Posts
@twostime

Did you buy the bike new? Is there any chance that is an aftermarket link? I know someone out there makes a lowering link based on that part.

The reason for asking is there are people who either don't understand or disregard the strength of different alloys making lowering links that are not as strong as stock. Mostly cheap Ebay stuff, but some stuff out of the former Soviet Union eastern block countries sold by big warehouse stores also.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle door Fender Vehicle
Picture still not coming through.
I tried, too. If you have an ad blocker, try loading the page with it off. To those that can view it, it appears that the suspension link would not be long enough, as if there was a section missing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That arm is a $30 OEM part. Comes with the bearings.
Not saying don’t investigate with dealer/manufacturer but, put a new one in and ride.
Until >5% of owners of that specific model start coming here and posting that theirs broke, I won’t lose sleep.

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
188 Posts
To those that can view it, it appears that the suspension link would not be long enough, as if there was a section missing.
Nothing is missing, the broken part connects the frame to the swingarm. When the part broke, the suspension collapsed and the rear tire likely made contact with the fender or whatever lies above it. On the 650, there are two parts similar to this and they are commonly refered to as dog bones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I agree, it looks like aluminum and it does look very corroded, also lots of rust under there for a 3 year old bike. If there is salt on the roads you need to rinse it underneath with fresh water regularly. Sucks that it happened, but good that you didn’t crash. I’d take it to a dealership, especially if you bought it from one, and get a Suzuki rep involved, they might take care of it. As far as not wanting it back, that’s a personal decision, but once it is repaired and inspected it should be as good or better than before. Good luck!
JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks JP for the good luck. It may be dirty, but it really is not corroded, it hasn't been near salt water for the last half of it's life, due to lock down :)... The last 18 months has been quick jaunts to the supermarket for supplies, nothing much else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Glad you survived that moment Twostime. I would also recommend refering it to your Suzuki dealer and hopefully they might be sympathetic. Maybe they might be keen on a metallurgy analysis to find out exactly what occurred.
Thanks Brokie, with my Suzuki dealer currently and I have asked that this crucial piece of the engineering is inspected thoroughly. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
T

By the looks of your undercarriage this bike does not look like its well taken care off especially in the conditions you ride.
First have you ever heard of S100 - look into it buy some and use it regularly its a great product I use it around all the mechanicals and undercarriage of my bike and it does a great job without much effort (spray and hose off)
I sympathize with you regarding the incident but like numerous people have said this is not a normal case - get the bike fixed and go ride again. I would ask your dealer to reach out to Suzuki - if not you can do it yourself on their web site not sure what they will say but it would be interesting to get their response
Thanks Big 2, I'll look into S100. per previous posts (just now) the bike has a full service history with the dealer. It has had a fairly quiet time over the last 18 months. Have reached out to Suzuki, I'll let you all know how this goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@twostime

Did you buy the bike new? Is there any chance that is an aftermarket link? I know someone out there makes a lowering link based on that part.

The reason for asking is there are people who either don't understand or disregard the strength of different alloys making lowering links that are not as strong as stock. Mostly cheap Ebay stuff, but some stuff out of the former Soviet Union eastern block countries sold by big warehouse stores also.
Bought new from Suzuki Dealership in the UK. Should be OEM part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Was curious about that style suspension - had not seen one with a single center bar rather than the 2 side bars of the previous suspension.
Jeebus that shock rides close to the link. Do you suppose that the shock is what broke it in half?
Installing Lowering Link 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - YouTube
Oldjeep, no the strap broke and collapsed the whole rear suspension and wheel into the mud-guard. Think this is probably answered below re 650 version?...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
That arm is a $30 OEM part. Comes with the bearings.
Not saying don’t investigate with dealer/manufacturer but, put a new one in and ride.
Until >5% of owners of that specific model start coming here and posting that theirs broke, I won’t lose sleep.
Fair enough but how many of 5% will recover enough to submit that post? ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nothing is missing, the broken part connects the frame to the swingarm. When the part broke, the suspension collapsed and the rear tire likely made contact with the fender or whatever lies above it. On the 650, there are two parts similar to this and they are commonly refered to as dog bones.
Correct in all ways, that is exactly what happened.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There was fairly new Honda Goldwing that failed in a similar fashion at similar speed. Honda came to the guys house, took his bike away on a trailer, and left him a new bike.
Yeah Suzuki aren't, so far, quite so friendly... I'm on the bus to get to work now, don't own any other vehicle :) .

21 - 40 of 57 Posts