StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been a decade or so... I have a DL1000 A1 (09/18). Today I experienced a complete failure of the rear suspension. Anyone else seen this?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
I've had a shock go bad and need a rebuild but not metal fatigue. A friend had a swing arm failure on a Ducati so stuff can happen. I've got a 100K miles on my DL650 and think I should be replacing the needle bearings in the rear suspension pivots just because.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had a shock go bad and need a rebuild but not metal fatigue. A friend had a swing arm failure on a Ducati so stuff can happen. I've got a 100K miles on my DL650 and think I should be replacing the needle bearings in the rear suspension pivots just because.
Thanks notacop, and the guy who recovered me had never seen a steel link strap like that break. I'm not even sure I want the repaired bike back at the moment. 5 minutes earlier I was doing 70mph (legally) on a duel-carriageway in the UK. Could have been very messy for both ass-ends ;) ... It may be a one-off but I'd like some serious scientists looking into that component at Suzuki. Recall should be an option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks notacop, and the guy who recovered me had never seen a steel link strap like that break. I'm not even sure I want the repaired bike back at the moment. 5 minutes earlier I was doing 70mph (legally) on a duel-carriageway in the UK. Could have been very messy for both ass-ends ;) ... It may be a one-off but I'd like some serious scientists looking into that component at Suzuki. Recall should be an option.
for the record - commuter bike, only ever had one pillion ride once on the back and has done ~12,300 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for the record - commuter bike, only ever had one pillion ride once on the back and has done ~12,300 miles.
Also why is a photo of my rear suspension failure classified as:
"sensitive content" are there too many nuts visible? absolute madness

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
59 Posts
T - the underlayer of your bike is pretty dirty you being out of the UK d you ride all year and if so do they pay salt on the ground ?
The link that broke look like if it was attacked by something ?

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
188 Posts
The metal at the break looks strange, like an oreo cookie. It looks like what I would call "pot metal" rather than a piece of high-strength steel. Are you sure that it's steel and not aluminum? If it were steel wouldn't it be rusted?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
The metal at the break looks strange, like an oreo cookie. It looks like what I would call "pot metal" rather than a piece of high-strength steel. Are you sure that it's steel and not aluminum? If it were steel wouldn't it be rusted?
Looks like aluminum to me. Can't imagine needing that much material if it was steel.

Reactions: bwringer

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Copy/Paste of the OP's Post Pic

The system really doesn't like your pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

so weird - even editing the picture results in same outcome

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Never mind. OPs pictures worked. Sure looks like a lot of corrosion all over the other suspension parts. A siezed bearing can over stress a linkage. Instead of the part rotating freely in the bearing, it is flexing and eventually breaking. You don't get a recall from one failure. Your bike will be fine once the part is replaced and the rest of the suspension is inspected. I would suspect a frozen bearing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments, strange we need to screen capture my record but this is the internet in 2021 - where many things are censored, I'm really enjoying the irony of an Ovlov car ad to the right ;). So the Bike has done just over 12k miles, it has been through all the normal dealership services. Last time I rode it over a large number of miles the rear suspension was "working". Nothing was seized or in anyway locked up. Do any of you really believe that that kind of failure of a component is in anyway acceptable? I don't think so. I'm not even sure I want the fixed bike back. Just my opinion. 5 minutes before this happened I was on a trunk road doing 70mph.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
T - the underlayer of your bike is pretty dirty you being out of the UK d you ride all year and if so do they pay salt on the ground ?
The link that broke look like if it was attacked by something ?
I do ride all year, no car. There is some salt in the winter. The link as far as I know is meant to be steel but perhaps is aluminium, either way I cannot believe the material is the reason for failure, I also could not detect any physical interference with the component; which would be weird, not sure I have any "enemies" who would wish to attack my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
A part broke that rarely if ever has been reported as broken. You replace the part. You ride the bike. If parts never broke, we wouldn't have warranties. If parts never broke we wouldn't need mechanics. Don't get so dramatic.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts