StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6K on my 09 wee and just added a center stand. I noticed when I spin the rear wheel, the rear sprocket has about 2mm of deflection (lateral movement). This causes the chain to be a little bit tighter in some spots depending on where the wheel is, in its rotation.

I bought the bike new and it has never been crashed. Is this amount of movement in the sprocket normal/acceptable or should it be perfectly straight?

There is no deflection in the wheel, just the sprocket.

I checked this by placing a screwdriver on the swingarm and touching the tip on the sprocket. As I spin the wheel, the screwdriver is pushed back toward the swingarm at the same point in the rotation.

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
If you mark the high spot and it is at the same place every revolution, the sprocket or sprocket carrier is out of round. I have never heard of that with a stock sprocket but I have with after market ones.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mark the high spot and it is at the same place every revolution, the sprocket or sprocket carrier is out of round. I have never heard of that with a stock sprocket but I have with after market ones.
It is in the same spot every time. It's side to side not up and down.

I wonder if the dealer would be able to help, after all I'm still under warranty. I have just never had any luck at any dealer that's why I like fixing things myself.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
An out of round sprocket will have a high spot all around the clock including up and down as well as side to side. If it is only side to side, chances are the chain has not been adjusted for proper slack at its tightest point. There should be a little more than an inch of slack when the chain is at its tightest point with the bike on the center stand. It could be your chain is worn unevenly and too tight. When the worn part is on the sprocket, the sprocket will pull the worn links together and chain will pull the sprocket forwards, compressing the cush rubbers in the sprocket carrier. Make sure the chain has proper slack at the tightest point. Also check for kinked or tight links. Your chain, sprockets and, possibly, cush rubbers may need to be replaced. The warranty does not cover chain and sprocket wear as they are normal wear items, like brake pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts