StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Just a question regarding rear sprockets. I had my 2012 on the centerstand with itrunning and in gear to let everything work for awhile. Found the rear sproket was not running true, not side to side but along the axis of rotation. Strange or normal? Iwould have thought that a sprocket should be round, not egg shaped..

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
It should be round. Eyeballing it as not the way to check though. Chain movement can make it look odd. Attach a stick from a ground support or the swingarm and rotate the wheel by hand while watching the relationship between the sprocket and the stick. If it is indeed out of round, it needs to be replaced and is probably still under warranty.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greywolf, just checked it that way and its not actually out that far, maybe a 32nd of an inch?

·
Registered
0 Posts
It should be round. Eyeballing it as not the way to check though. Chain movement can make it look odd. Attach a stick from a ground support or the swingarm and rotate the wheel by hand while watching the relationship between the sprocket and the stick. If it is indeed out of round, it needs to be replaced and is probably still under warranty.
If your sprocket is out of round, your chain will be tight on the high spot and as you rotate the wheel the chain will go slacken again until the high spot goes directly opposite the front sprocket again.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Uneven chain wear will exhibit the same variation though and is much more common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts