StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the whole rear sprocket carrier issue has been done to death, but has anyone tried removing the dust seal and fitting an extra bearing in it's place? It would have to be with an integral dust seal but I am sure such a thing would be available. There would then need to be a spacer made to replace the original. Sounds easy, but it would spread the load on the sprocket carrier much better and may cure some of the harsh vibes that I get from time to time. Has this been done before? Am I going to get slated for not using the search function?:mrgreen: Be interested to hear others opinion on this idea before I jump into it feet first!:D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using 2 carrier bearings instead of one

So here is what I did to hopefully get rid of the grinding chain type noise/vibration that happens when the bike is under load at lowish revs.
1. Remove the dust seal.
2. Machine the outer spacer down to 32mm from39 and stepped 17mm to match the new bearing. 65mm outer, x32mm inner, x17mm wide. same as already installed.
3. Install bearing into carrier and refit wheel to bike.
4. Road test bike to see what effect it has had.
As you can see, the bearing protrudes from the housing but I am sure it will still do the job even though it looks a bit rude. Cost was $96 all up.

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Master mike actually sent me some photo's of something similar he was working on about a year ago. I don't know exactly what he was doing but it looked quite similar.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The road test

Only done 20 or so km but definately smoother. Not massive difference but noticeable. There is now NO play sideways in the carrier which is what I was trying to achieve. Also the gear changes are better, not that I was upset with it before, but just a little nicer. Worth $96? Looks like it at this stage, will see with a pillion on how it behaves.
This is on a bike that has done 12,500km, almost all 2up touring.
Small downside is more unsprung weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts