StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My k4 650s carrier bearing failed. im wanting to know how common this is or if the PO of my bike caused this from poor PM. Is this specefic to certain years or do all Strom's have the exact same bearing? Thanks in advance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's an unusual failure for a 650 unless the spacer pictured is put in backwards. The pic shows the correct orientation. Backwards destroys bearings. All Strom sprocket carrier bearings are the same. Getting the common bearing with a 2RS(2 rubber seals) designation will cost less and be sealed on both sides, unlike the Suzuki bearing.
Size: 32x65x17mm - 1 needed
Suzuki #: 09262-32007
Common #: 62/32-2RS

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Just a note that the double sealed industrial bearing contains factory-filled long life grease. The -2RS suffix is widely used, but some bearing makers use a different suffix for exactly the same thing. The people in any local industrial bearing supply house will know all this. If you're ordering through an auto parts store, just ask for the62/32-2RS bearing.

Use this opportunity to check that the rubber dampers in the rear hub hold the sprocket carrier in place firmly and that the rear wheel bearings turn smoothly without any touch of roughness nor any sign of rust.

·
Registered
89 Posts
BNG

Hello:
I have a relatively new Bng. & Seal that I have changed out while converting to the SV wheel and axle that you can have.
Merry Christmas........Rich

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so...I had to go with the OEM $40.00 bearing and seal. My local bearing shop wanted $89.00 for a 32/62-2rs and my auto part stores (autozone,oriellys) were totaly useless. I already have put in the nee bearing and seal. It tightned everything up in the ear end but I am going to go ahead and replace cush drives. The slop in the old bearing totally ruined my rear sprocket and new chain.. This week I'm servicing front forks.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in a rush to get the job done yesterday so I could ride this morning.

·
38,104 Posts
I was in a rush to get the job done yesterday so I could ride this morning.
I wish I had a dealer that had parts like that in stock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so after I replaved the carrier bearing I noticed there is still some minor play in the sprocket.....mostly front to back not side ti side like before. Tonight I am going to shim the cush drives with an innertube until my cush drives come in. With new carrier, cush drives....there should be nothing else to cause "slop" in tyhe rear sprocket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
carrier bearing depth

I just put a new carrier bearing in because the improperly installed (P.O.) spacer trashed it. I don't know that i installed it deep enough because the when the spacer is installed it makes contact with the new dust seal and creates quite a bit of resistance. I guess i try to install it and if it doesn't easily slide in the swing arm then the bearing is not deep enough??

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just put a new carrier bearing in because the improperly installed (P.O.) spacer trashed it. I don't know that i installed it deep enough because the when the spacer is installed it makes contact with the new dust seal and creates quite a bit of resistance. I guess i try to install it and if it doesn't easily slide in the swing arm then the bearing is not deep enough??
It'll be a tight fit, and it should be. The outer part of the bearing should be stationary while the innner part rotates.

Use the old bearing to press/tap in the new one evenly. Tap on it with a hammer using a piece of wood in between (to cushion the blow, you don't want to beat the crap out of bearings). It needs to go in evenly to seat evenly, as the space in there should be just perfect enough to fit the bearing.

Make sure the dimensions of the bearing are correct as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts