StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 DL1000 with GIVI Outback panniers on it. A year ago a friend said that it looked loose. I checked it and it was tight but the center pannier did bounce a bit.

I finally took a good look at it and thought I would add some additional metal support under it to stiffen it up. So I drilled into it to add the supports and found it to be plastic! Even with the metal supports added it never felt solid.

The whole rack moves no matter what you do. Does anyone know of a steel rack that I could replace it with?

I think it sucks that Suzuki would do that. I might have to get a BMW.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
I finally took a good look at it and thought I would add some additional metal support under it to stiffen it up. So I drilled into it to add the supports and found it to be plastic! Even with the metal supports added it never felt solid.

The whole rack moves no matter what you do. Does anyone know of a steel rack that I could replace it with?

Well, my 2014 BMW RT has.....a plastic rack......

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
Lots of polymer pistols out there too. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hepco & Becker note the same problem, that the rack may bend or otherwise break from too much weight. They even went as far as making an additional support strut just for this problem
Part number please. Australian site does not show that.

Tom R

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, rack is disgrace, they could have saved $$ on all the plastic shit they drape around the fuel tank (*) and supported the rack a bit better ;)
At least while its flexing it isnt breaking.. I reinforced our rack with a plastic chopping board and some bolts and spacers, then I had a sensible surface to mount the top box mounting plate to ;)

(*) Pet WTF?? Why make the fuel tank smaller, then wrap it plastic to make it bigger??

Reactions: billteugene

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a 2014 DL1000 with GIVI Outback panniers on it. A year ago a friend said that it looked loose. I checked it and it was tight but the center pannier did bounce a bit.

You didnt notice the rack was made from "soft" alloy when you bought the bike:confused: I assumed ours was alloy also..till I grabbed it confidently (in the showroom) boy was I pissed at Suzuki! Flagship Adventure bike, newest greatest thing Suzuki had on the market...bloody plastic!! GRRRR
FWIW I see topboxes flapping about on bikes all the time-the riders unaware! so i just learnt to ignore ours,just pretend its not flapping about! from time to time I look to see if its still there..so far so good ;) I rode on a VERY rocky shithouse trail recently, and SteveC was behind... he made particular comment as to the amount of movement the top box had flapping around on the pissy plastic rack!
After the rack surviving that day, i have confidence in it - at least as far as not snapping. while its bending it aint breaking.
Though I expect 99% of purchasers would have been expecting an alloy rack. I havent seen the factory top box mounting kit...but I bet it has supporting brackets! ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Givi also make a top box mount with bracing for the DL1000 2014+ - pn SR3105

There is also a Givi version with an aluminium mounting plate which doesn't look as bulky - SRA3105.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
yup

Which is one of the big reasons I bought my older model DL650 - rock solid OEM metal rear rack.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Part number please. Australian site does not show that.

Tom R
I will buy that in a heart beat! Let us know the part number please!
That part number is 4210.3530 00 01, and I will have it added onto our site as soon as I get a response from H&B! I wanted to verify with them that this part will work with AND without the Hepco & Becker Rear Rack(s) before having this part added. (Wouldn't want you guys stuck with an unusable part!)

This may go without saying, though we would have to order these struts, as we do not have them stocked.

I'll update as I learn more info!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That part number is 4210.3530 00 01, and I will have it added onto our site as soon as I get a response from H&B! I wanted to verify with them that this part will work with AND without the Hepco & Becker Rear Rack(s) before having this part added. (Wouldn't want you guys stuck with an unusable part!)

This may go without saying, though we would have to order these struts, as we do not have them stocked.

I'll update as I learn more info!
Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had no problems with mine. I have an SW Motech Alu-Rack added, with an adapter plate to carry a Givi trunk. We had ridden 2up with over 25 lbs in a 50 liter trunk on multi-thousand mile trips and everything has been fine.

This is with no reinforcing for the stock rack. Maybe we're just lucky?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had no problems with mine. I have an SW Motech Alu-Rack added, with an adapter plate to carry a Givi trunk. We had ridden 2up with over 25 lbs in a 50 liter trunk on multi-thousand mile trips and everything has been fine.

This is with no reinforcing for the stock rack. Maybe we're just lucky?
No reinforcing on mine. I'm sure others have the same problem but don't know it. It's hard to see when you are riding!

·
Registered
275 Posts
My rack with Shad SH48 and Shad adapter flexed enough to cause the Shad mounting bolts to come into contact with my tail light. Now I have two spider cracks on my light... Not happy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts