StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2009 DL650. I also am the owner of a fat butt that is too heavy for said DL650. However, I don't have the mucho dinero required to equip my bike with an upgrade shock - so I chose to go the route of a new spring.

I doubt this thread will be all that helpful to anyone thinking about upgrading to a heavier spring on their stock shock, but I figured I would share some of the pics I took while I worked on my bike - just in case anyone was curious about the procedure.

It was WAY too cold to ride last weekend, so after ordering a new spring from Race Tech, and a couple new dog bones, I went ahead and pulled the shock.

After pulling the shock, I used a soldering iron to heat up the set screw, and it came right off - no problem at all. Sorry, didn't get any pics.

After doing some head-scratching :confused: , I figured out how to get the old spring off without going to the trouble of making a jig for my floor jack. I used my wood-working pipe clamps. Easy Peasy:thumbup:

This pic isn't very good, but if you look closely, you can see the retaining ring. Note: it isn't necessary to compress the spring as far as you see in this pic. You just need to clear the retaining ring - then you pry it off with a screwdriver - and then release the clamps.

The parts turned out to be easy to clean up after the spring was off.

Later in the week, the new dog-bones came in the mail and I partially installed them. I couldn't bolt on the bottoms until the shock was installed first.

Also, for what it's worth, in order to get the shock off the bike I took a number of other parts off - for easier access ...

... so I could get to this area (where the shock's top bolt was)

Well, Santa in the brown uniform delivered my new spring yesterday

...along with the needed bushings

I was kinda surprised that NO directions were included, but after futzing around with the parts for a few seconds, it was clear that there was only one way for all of the pieces to fit together.

New compared to old

I stacked it all together and into the pipe clamps.

Then compressed the spring enough to re-install the retaining clip. The spring was noticeably stiffer then the old one - just by the feel of the clamp screws.

Then I re-set the set screw

The rest is pretty much common sense; I slipped the shock back in place, re-installed the pre-load adjuster,

applied thread-lock,

checked the manual for the settings,

and torqued everything back together

The finished assembly

I was pleased the lean wasn't too severe, and that the center stand still lifted the rear tire off the ground.

Hope this helps any potential / future spring-swappers. While I am no expert, I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice report and photos. What length dogbones did you use, that is, were you raising or lowering?

Nice workshop too.
I used shorter dog-bones - for a 5/8 inch lift. Kinda wish I went with the 1 inch lift. ...was afraid if I went too high the rear tire wouldn't lift off the ground with the center stand. I am guessing the 1 inch would have been OK. BTW,I have a "Murph's Kit" center stand - if that factors into the equation. I'm not sure if the geometry is the same with all brands.

EDIT:
After having a chance to ride the bike, I am glad I didn't go any higher than the 5/6 inch lift. I am 6'2", with a 32 inch inseam. I hadn't realized that the bike would ride so much higher because of the stiffer spring - in conjunction with the new dog bones. Any higher and I would be tap-dancing at red lights.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
well done

good report - and thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, this is helpfull! Will be installing a Hyperpro rear spring on my K6 Wee in the next few weeks, before this year's season kicks off... Along with heated grips and a centre stand. Crossing my fingers that all goes smoothly :beatnik:

·
phatguy in Cbus
182 Posts
Nice install. Question though...dose the stock shock have sufficient compression and rebound damping for this stronger spring?

Jim in Cbus

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice install. Question though...dose the stock shock have sufficient compression and rebound damping for this stronger spring?

Jim in Cbus
I will be the first to admit that I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert, but to answer your question: yes, damping is just fine. I know conventional wisdom says that damping should be inadequate after installing a much heavier spring, but in all candor, I haven't quite got my head wrapped around that concept.
  • It seems to me that a heavier spring would require less compression damping - as the spring would be more effective in counteracting in inward compression.
  • I can sort of grasp the concept of rebound damping being further taxed by the heavier spring, but wouldn't that force be counter-acted by my greater mass?
Anyway, to further answer your question: I found the rebound to be a little harsh this morning - but after stopping and adjusting it by a 1/4 turn, the post-bump kick went away. Only when I got home and messed with the adjuster further did I notice that the screw was turned almost as far as it would go in the counter-clockwise direction. I must have screwed around with it during the spring swap and forgot to adjust it back where it needed to be ...no wonder the rebound started out a little harsh. :headbang:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good post I have a spring ordered also.This will help alot,looks easy now.
I have my shock off now-08 wee- and I didnt take any trim off the bike to get it off.I used a long extension and could get to the bolts that way. :thumbup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok....so where did you get the new spring? What specs did you use? How about your weight, etc...not to be too personal!..HA.

Thanks!
Got the spring from Race Tech Suspension

Explore their site. Search/Spring Rate Search.

As a follow up to all of this:

My Wee is my first bike. I've had it for almost 4 years, and have nearly 60,000 miles on it. At 250 lbs, I knew my weight was in excess of the bikes design criteria, but wasn't aware of the true affect it was having. I was hesitant to put too much money into the bike because it had so many miles on it. But, the economy being what it is, a new bike was not in the cards. So over the last month I took the plunge and did a few upgrades; new fork springs, new shock spring, the shorter dog bones, and longer brake lines (so I could take full advantage of the 2" risers I installed a few years back).

Well, last weekend I had a chance to do a lot of post-suspension-upgrade riding in the mountains - both alone and 2-up. The results of the upgrades, especially the springs, were nothing short of amazing. I am trying to avoid cliches like "road like it was on rails" or "more planted" etc., but it's tough not to.

I am having a difficult time explaining the changes - there are so many improvements - most of which I had no idea would come or to expect. Most notably, the handling in tight turns is unbelievable. Before the springs, I unconsciously pulled my feet in, because the bike would squat and my feet would drag. No more! You just point it and it goes - effortlessly. It makes the bike SO much more "in control".

My wife and I are very frugal - my wife especially. Even she was thrilled with how the bike now handles (from a pillion's perspective "much less bouncy") and is completely convinced that the money was well spent. :thumbup: We were absolutely FLYING in the twisties yesterday and the bike was in such control that she had no idea the speeds we were traveling. We both had a BLAST!

If you weigh much more than ~180 lbs, and you have about $300 to spare, you will not believe the difference new springs (front and back) will have on the bike.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good post I have a spring ordered also.This will help alot,looks easy now.
I have my shock off now-08 wee- and I didnt take any trim off the bike to get it off.I used a long extension and could get to the bolts that way. :thumbup:
Way to go. :thumbup:

I am not totally surprised that you could get an extension through to shock bolt. Nice tip.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I own a 2009 DL650. I also am the owner of a fat butt that is too heavy for said DL650. However, I don't have the mucho dinero required to equip my bike with an upgrade shock - so I chose to go the route of a new spring.

I doubt this thread will be all that helpful to anyone thinking about upgrading to a heavier spring on their stock shock, but I figured I would share some of the pics I took while I worked on my bike - just in case anyone was curious about the procedure.

It was WAY too cold to ride last weekend, so after ordering a new spring from Race Tech, and a couple new dog bones, I went ahead and pulled the shock.

Hope this helps any potential / future spring-swappers. While I am no expert, I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.
Question here...
I am heavy too (261 pounds). May I ask how much Race Tech charged you for the spring?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Hack, what is the rate of the new spring, and which line on the pre-load are you using one-up to give the needed 40 mm sag?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Question here...
I am heavy too (261 pounds). May I ask how much Race Tech charged you for the spring?
All in, $166.00. That includes the extra collars/spacers and shipping.

Don't forget, the rear spring is only half of the equation, the fork springs are also hugely beneficial for us full-figured dudes. ...maybe even more so. I got the front springs from Sonic, http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/ and I want to say they were around $100.00 - and fork oil I got at Cycle Gear - mixed 10 and 15 weight oil - the two jugs were enough for two oil-changes. Seems like the oil was around $15.00 per jug.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hack, what is the rate of the new spring, and which line on the pre-load are you using one-up to give the needed 40 mm sag?

I got the SESP 802250850 - but that is for my fat butt - it depends on your weight. Explore their site - it has a calculator tool to use that walks you through 3 or 4 questions and then suggests a weight for the individual situation.

To answer your "which line" question: I haven't yet enlisted the help of a friend to measure it. That being said, so far I am using NO additional pre-load when riding solo, and with my wife on the back I randomly pick 2 lines.

Again, for what it's worth, this difference between now and stock is phenomenal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Question - I went to the racetech site and they only ask about MY weight. Nothing about riding 2 up, luggage, passenger info, etc. Should I use the recommended and then just go up one spring level? The rear shock is soft right now with me and luggage, and it would certainly struggle when my wife joins me (and we want to haul luggage as well!)

·
Vinegarjoe
64 Posts
rear shock

got my shock back from Racetech this winter after basic rebuild and recommended spring upgrade, ready to install now that riding weather is here, guitarhacks post upgrade report has me tickled pink, but have read reports that with only spring change, rebound can be inadequate, get any sense of that guitarhack ?:confused:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts