StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now I've felt like the rear suspension on my 2008 Wee (37k miles) just isn't up to snuff. I know there are a few threads out there about Wee's sitting low all of a sudden and it seems a common cause is the rear preload adjuster running low on fluid. There's an execellent how-to thread in Maintenance, Tech and Farkles that shows how to adddress a low fluid situation. I checked my bike while on the centerstand and maxed out I can get 4 lines to show. So that's something I will address when I get the shock out to replace the spring.

There are of course all sorts of aftermarket shock options but I decided to go the low cost route and ordered a RaceTech spring from SV Racing.

I looked in the factory manual and I don't see anything about how to swap out the spring once removed from the bike. I know you have to compress the spring but what are the next steps? Also, I've read you can use a floor jack and 2x4's to compress the springs. For the first time in a while Google has failed me. :yikes: Does anyone have links to someone actually doing this with a V-Strom rear shock?

Dave...

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I got a lot of hits on "replacing shock spring" but didn't search Vstrom specific.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a lot of hits on "replacing shock spring" but didn't search Vstrom specific.
Yeah, I've found a few homemade spring compressor threads but none about using 2x4's and a floorjack. I swear I saw a picture on this site somewhere but I can't find it again.

I just hate messing around with springs due to the high potential of pain. About 25 years ago I did a two year stint as an auto mechanic. One of my first jobs was driving a fellow mechanic to the hospital after I watched him get launched across the garage after the spring compressor tool failed on a strut. He took the spring square in the chest as it explosively uncompressed. Five broken ribs and a nasty headache from banging his head off an oil drum.

I wonder if this would work on our springs?

Dave...

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Push real hard from both ends?
I'm looking at doing mine as well but saying floor jack and a 2x4 is a little vague. You-Tube doesn't do requests.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts