StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys know the rear shock spring rate for a 2018 vstrom.1000.

And do you have any website to calculate the spring rate I need.

Because at 225 lbs my preload adjuster is cranked up all the way for the 48mm sag recommended.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The Vee is about that much heavier than a Wee.

I'm surprised there isn't a calculator for the Vee's though I'll concede my 2014's suspension is the first stock bike I've owned where I'd call the suspension adequate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was looking at the Race Tech website, no information there. It seems you can only find information and calculators for the fork springs but not for the rear shock.

Where did you get the 48 mm sag value from?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm currently working on a stiffer shock spring with my bike (same model as yours). I'm lighter than you at 185lb but I often ride two up with 160 lb passenger. I recently installed a Eibach 650 lb spring and it seems to be really close for a compromise for my needs when riding solo or two up mostly street riding. To mount the spring, you will need two of the Race Tech collars, SPSC B5552N. Or, if you have resources to fabricate your own adapters, they are nothing complicated.

Couple of comments...
1. I am currently running my 650 lb spring with the stock shock and I have the rebound turned all the way in. We haven't ridden a great deal of miles, but the stock shock with the rebound turned in as such, does "ok" with the stiffer spring. To do it 100%, I should get the shock modded, but it's good enough that I'll ride the summer with it and do something over next winter.
2. The spring isn't nearly as easy to remove as the 650 spring because the spring is compressed further, there are more hardware pieces involved, and everything is pretty close fitting. But with proper fixture tool, the task is pretty easy. You have to buy or make something to compress the spring. Motion Pro makes a spring compressing tool for $135 USD which looks like it would work really well. I made my own compressing tool, just to be a rebel.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m 275lbs and the rear suspension works great for me.Ive adjusted the rebound so it doesn’t bounce like a pogo stick anymore.Ive set the sag and it’s really nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts