StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 DL650 has done about 30,000km - about a fifth of that on dirt - and I want some advice on the rear suspension.

On a ride today I noticed the rear is sitting really low. When the bike was new my toes only just reached the ground. Now both feet are nearly flat on the ground. I'm a heavy guy (250lb) and that's probably contributed to the springs wearing out, I'm guessing. Full pre-load didn't make much of a difference.

What's the correct method for increasing the ride height? Can I do something similar to a tuneup? Or am I at least looking at new springs, or even a whole new suspension?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Check the lines on the shock that indicate preload level with the rear wheel off the ground and see if they change through all five lines with preload setting. You may have lost the hydraulic fluid in the preload adjuster.

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
That's almost what I was gonna ask. I dragged the right peg a couple times yesterday and I have the adjuster turned all the way to the stop, righty-tighty.
Now I know what to look for, thanks GW.
The suspension seems firm still though and I don't have lowering links.

·
38,103 Posts
Check whether you can get 5 lines showing above the spring with the hydraulic adjuster. If not, it needs more oil and a check for leaks. If so, the spring has sacked or is just plain too light.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check whether you can get 5 lines showing above the spring with the hydraulic adjuster. If not, it needs more oil and a check for leaks. If so, the spring has sacked or is just plain too light.
Thank you. Will see what I can see tonight.

If it is low on fluid what are the fixes?

·
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Or am I at least looking at new springs, or even a whole new suspension?
Especially if you're riding on dirt, you will not regret a "real" shock in the rear and Intiminators or Emulators up front, along with the correct fork springs and correct fork oil.

Paved highway, you can squeak by with the OEM stuff, but once you've tasted better on dirt, you won't go back.

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
I find myself dragging that dang right peg more often now. I did the check GW suggested and the unit moves through the 5 lines on the shock. I have 37K miles on the bike and it has the stock link on it. I'm going to have to have Gorilla or Sasquatch do a rework or learn not to be such a squid!:biggrinjester:

·
38,103 Posts
Checking is over. You need a stronger spring, a Sasquatch rebuild, or an after market shock. That's from cheapest to best in order.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Eibach makes a spring which should you - if using the original shock - - i think the part number is 0800.225.0XXX, where XXX is lbs/inch - consult your suspension rebuilder, but for 250lbs, i imagine somewhere between 700 - 850 will suit depending on your preference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Or am I at least looking at new springs, or even a whole new suspension?
I have a K8 with 26000+kms on it. my weight is around 130kg and a lot of the time my 50kg daughter is joining me on rides on (mostly) badly paved roads.

I just had the bike in for a "midlife upgrade" which consisted of fitting an Öhlins shock, ordered with a spring to fit my weight, and some "progressive" Öhlins springs and new fork oil.

Now I have to relearn to drive the bike :jawdrop:. It is a completely new ride. I am so high up in the air I almost get dizzy! I think this probably is how the bike should have been in the first place though, if it had a decent shock and springs adjusted for my weight.

I also switched to a new set of Metzler Tourance EXP tires, and the tendency to "handsfree wooble" around 60km/h seems to have disappeared in the process too! (I only got the bike back yesterday, and am a bit worrided that the wooble was just moved to a higher speed, but that is not fully explored yet! :thumbup: )

In total I think the upgrade was really worth the considerable cost involved.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Eibach makes a spring which should you - if using the original shock - - i think the part number is 0800.225.0XXX, where XXX is lbs/inch - consult your suspension rebuilder, but for 250lbs, i imagine somewhere between 700 - 850 will suit depending on your preference.
I do not have a rebuilder. I will be doing most of the work.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Does anyone know what the stock spring is from them?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cheapest "Good" fix for rear suspension

I weigh 200 and carry about 25 pounds of tools/gear in a topcase at all times. My 09 DL1000 would bang against the stops if I hit a serious dip in the road, with shock preload about 1/3 of max. The bike's stock rear spring is simply too weak for big Americans.

After two years of this I'd had enough, but didn't want to blow hundreds on a new shock/spring setup. I called Jay at Sasquatch, told him how much I weighed and how often I took long trips with an extra 60-70 pounds of crap loaded on, and based on that he recommended new stiffer spring, which I bought from him.

I installed it myself -- not particularly hard to do, but you must build a shock press out of 2x4's and a floor jack (google it) to get the old spring off; building the press will take you about an hour. Once you've got the press made, it's really simple -- I think I spent about two hours total, and I'm a slow, deliberate mechanic. Just pay attention to how the parts come apart; there aren't that many.

With the new spring on, and the rebound damping on the old shock adjusted about 1/4 turn stiffer as I recall, everything is a LOT better--no more bottoming out, smooth and controlled rebound. All for about $100 if I remember correctly. Not ideal, but pretty good for a cheap fix. By the way, this is exactly what Jay told me on the phone, which is greatly to his credit. I'm sure he doesn't make that much on a single spring sale vs. rebuilds. So I now trust him completely. When it's time to re-do the forks, he's my huckleberry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was having the same problems, dragging, preload all the way up and still to soft. I first changed the links and raised the rear about 5/8 . This helped but in the end I just replaced the shock with the Elka, problems solved.
I figured if I sell the bike I could put the stocker back on and sell the elka.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After my back country trip my spring/shock felt soft, I ordered a 14.3 spring and 1.0 fork springs and have the Intimidators coming as well, hopefully this will make the bike suspension more up to par

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is one of several threads in the last few months where people have reported suddenly reduced ride height, suspension bottoming, etc., and in none of these threads has anyone suggested that a loss of nitrogen charge could be the culprit.

There's a warning sticker on the body of the rear shock that states, "This unit contains high-pressure nitrogen gas. Mishandling can cause explosion."

The high-pressure nitrogen charge acts very much like a second variable-rate spring inside of the shock body. Lose the charge and you effectively lose part of the overall spring rate.

I suspect that many of these cases are due to the loss of the nitrogen charge, and have nothing to do with the spring or the preload adjuster. That would also explain why most of these cases involve a sudden onset of the problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts