StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently replaced the bearings in my swingarm and shock linkage. I was putting the bike back together last night and noticed a fair amount of space between the shock linkage and the sides of the rear shock mount at the bottom. I attached an image with arrows pointing to the area I am referring to.

There is a spacer there, which does fit the gap in the shock mount correctly, but it seems larger than the shock linkage.

Please let me know if this makes sense!

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
#12 is the inner race of the #4 caged needle bearing. It needs to be longer so the shock doesn't bind on the casting or the outer race of #4.

·
38,048 Posts
Sure. It would take much more to cause a problem.

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
e30reg,
What did it take to drive out the old bearings? I need to do mine and wondered what technique was used to get the old bearings out?
Do you use a drift punch from the opposite side or what?

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
Great link, it answers the questions, thanks.
I love the sky hook of pipe the feller made. I may hang mine from the rafters. My garage is nicer than that pebble strewn surface he had.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is the upper shock bearing replaceable? I can't find one to purchase anywhere.

Is there even a bearing there........?
The upper mount uses a sleeved rubber bush. It doesn't look to be replaceable from the parts fiche above.
It may be able to be removed & sleeved somehow.
To be fair it will get very little movement, which is why Suzuki didn't fit a bearing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You'll have to take it to a suspension shop to have them replace that bushing, it's essentially a part of the shock, not DIY replaceable. AFAIK

·
38,048 Posts
How do you figure the play is all from the shock top? You have two shock eyes, the swingarm bearings, and three cushion lever bearings contributing to play in the swingarm and all that is greatly multiplied by the length of the swingarm. What you have sounds typical for a properly working system.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How do you figure the play is all from the shock top? You have two shock eyes, the swingarm bearings, and three cushion lever bearings contributing to play in the swingarm and all that is greatly multiplied by the length of the swingarm. What you have sounds typical for a properly working system.
I'm going to preface this with the idea that I'm not your typical "V-Strom rider". I build engines and transmissions for hobby, handload all types of small arms ammunition, and have been a professional metal fabricator..... I would consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined. I don't just twist the throttle.

I put my finger at the top of the shock where I was touching both the shock mount and the shock eye, lifted up on the swingarm, and felt the play. I felt every other joint in the system and did not detect play. In my YZ450F, which has bearings at both ends of the shock(I know because I replaced the upper), there was zero play at the end of the swingarm. I guess this isn't a YZ450F...... I'm still getting used to the 'non racing' engineering of the Wee.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm going to preface this with the idea that I'm not your typical "V-Strom rider". I build engines and transmissions for hobby, handload all types of small arms ammunition, and have been a professional metal fabricator..... I would consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined. I don't just twist the throttle.

I put my finger at the top of the shock where I was touching both the shock mount and the shock eye, lifted up on the swingarm, and felt the play. I felt every other joint in the system and did not detect play. In my YZ450F, which has bearings at both ends of the shock(I know because I replaced the upper), there was zero play at the end of the swingarm. I guess this isn't a YZ450F...... I'm still getting used to the 'non racing' engineering of the Wee.
Got the same issue.. Did you ever source a useable shock mount?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts