1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Rear Shock Adjustment Knob..

The Hand Knob on my DL-650 was very hard when I first go it. It wouldnt budge

It seemed to be frozen in the all the way High position.. I gave it a good grip and a little muscle and I felt it go pop and un freeze itself.. Now it seems to work fine... Up and Down .. No Problem....

Good Ole Me.. Got to thinking in Preventatve maintenance mode..

"I Probably need to clean an lube behind that knob".. So I took the knob off

Sure enough, there's all kinds of Road Grime behind it.. I clean and then shoot some super Lube into the 4 holes on the valve mechanism..

I Notice 2 holes have Springs in them....

I put it all back together... everything works fine

Later I happen to see 2 Ball Bearings on the floor right there under the bike. Small Tiny ones....

My Question: Were those 2 balls in there.. On top of the holes that had the springs?

Anyone ever take their knob off and see these 2 bearings?

The DL 1000 Manual isnt detailed enough it just shows the shock removal.

My garage is a mees.. so those bearing might have been from something else BUT nothing I can remember messing with lately

Thanks

Chris

R

·
0 Posts
Bearings..

Chris I think the two little ball bearings you found were in there. My DL 650 adjuster knob "feels" like it has spring detents in it which would be little springs behing ball bearings that push in and out of shallow detent holes as the adjuster knob is turned. I checked my service manual but it does not show that much detail about the preload adjuster but I am sure that it has the spring/ball detent system like I described.

RJK

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RJ
Thanks..

I think your right.
Today I will take the knob off again and investigate.
It makes perfect sense. Why would it have two hole with springs.. those springs are there for a reason. (as you said Sping detent.bearing on top)

Later I am going over to a buddies house. he has a 1000
I'll look at his too

OK I Appreciate it ! Thanks!

It's Raining .... again :cry: :evil: :cry:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YES

With out a Doubt the bearings belong in there... They provide spring tension to the knob. There is a groove milled into the back of the knob nut.

When you turn the knob you may notice a very slight 'click' that is the bearings seating into the groove.. providing detent.

So... if you ever take off that knob..watch for the bearings..make sure you put them back in.

My V-Strom ROCKS

·
Registered
186 Posts
rear preload

So when you turn that wheel, how do you tell what setting you're at other than the feel of it when you ride down the road?

I haven't seen a marker/indicator of whether I'm at 3,1 or 5 on my rear adjustment wheel.

A

·
0 Posts
On the shock you will see a coller above the spring with some rings around it. If 5 rings are seen then it is on the highest preload. No rings mean lowest. Here is a paste from the sevice manual on adjusting the rear shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts