StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Stromers,
I'm currently on a trip from Canada to South America, I'm in Mexico now and have run into a problem. My bike has started to bottom out continually and
my rear end seems to have sank and sits lower.
I'm not sure if the spring has lost it's dampening or if something else might be broke.
I'm a noob when it comes to mechaical things, so any help would be would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
a little more info please

what year is your bike

are you riding 2 up?

how many Lbs (or kilos) of gear is lashed onto the rear of the bikestuff liek that

·
Registered
88 Posts
Suspensions by Sasquatch

You have probably blown the seal on the shock.

Call the guys above and talk to them about shipping your shock for a rebuild, depending on your time frame. Next day shipping both ways will be expensive, but will cut the time down significantly, if it needs to be done.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Hmm.

Does the bike actually sit lower? Or are you just seeing more bottoming? More bottoming is probably a blown shock, as previously mentioned. Sitting lower suggests either the spring is failing (not common in the short term), or perhaps the preload adjuster has failed, or else you have some kind of damage in the bearings in the shock linkage. Might try cranking the preload adjuster, see if the piston on the spring mount moves. If not, then you spring doesn't have enough preload. If that's your problem, if you can find a friendly machinist, perhaps he can machine a fixed spring spacer block for you to get the sag back to where it belongs. But you'll probably need to pull the shock to install it, a not entirely trivial exercise.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
The adjustment that increases the spring rate is hydraulic. If the seals give out then it settles down to minimum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts