StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I am looking at a GIVI top case and the mounting plate for it is limited to 6 kg's. That is like 14 pounds. The rack must be able to hold more than this. Has anyone had say 20 pounds on that rack and NOT lost your luggage?

2) The V-Strom 650 has a hidden connector for a GPS in the front cowl area. This allows a person to have a switched connector for the GPS and not require additional wiring to be run. Anyone know if a 2018 V-Strom 1000 has anything similar?

NC

·
Registered
622 Posts
1) I am looking at a GIVI top case and the mounting plate for it is limited to 6 kg's. That is like 14 pounds. The rack must be able to hold more than this. Has anyone had say 20 pounds on that rack and NOT lost your luggage?
NC
I've got a Givi top box and mounting plate and I just brought a case of bottled beer home in it, it weighed 13.5 kg. Not a drop was spilled.

Attachments

Reactions: Numbercruncher

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it had to be something like this. I can potentially see a problem where a person has a lot of weight on that rack and if riding off road the weight starts to flex the plate it will snap off at some point. But just cruising around on pavement it is less likely to happen. Now if you crest a hill at high speed and descend into a G-out it may be different.

Funny I mention that G-out feeling. When we were kids we took a lot of road trips with mom. When we would drive over those we always called it losing our stomach. For whatever reason that was a fun experience. Like kids jumping up when the elevator stops moving upwards. Man I wish life could be simple like that again. Life was so much easier, twenty years ago . . .

Well if I buy a new V-Strom 1000 I'll take a road trip through California in May. Weather should be great but the kids are still in school. Maybe I'll do Colorado if I have time.

NC

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm sure the standard rack that the Givi plate attaches to would have a pretty low load rating. No way would I load it up that much on a rough road.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've had a lot of weight on it and it's very solid. Maybe it was a typo and 140 lbs is the limit?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree that the real risk is to the subframe. For many years I have hauled a soft-sided cooler around filled with water, beer & ice, likely weighing 25 lbs or more. No issue with the mounting plate but I have heard stories of guys having their subframe fail and needing to be welded.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Weight restrictions like that are often as much a result of legal considerations as they are engineering ones. In fact, I'd tend to weight it more towards legal considerations. As long as Givi puts a product liability weight warning on their product restricting the limit to a very low amount, then they are at least theoretically indemnified against liability claims for a rider who's injured as a result of overloading the top case and mounting rack. or who damages their bike while using one of Givi's products. They know that 6 kilos or so is never going to affect the handling in an adverse manner or cause damage to the bike, so they're legally safe at that number. If they tested the product to the limits of failure and then based a weight restriction on a percentage of that point, they could place themselves dangerously into liability territory, because that starts getting into the individual skill levels of the rider. One rider may be perfectly comfortable with handling the extra 40 lbs that the rack can actually hold, but a novice rider may not, and may crash because he had that extra weight way up high on the bike. Givi doesn't want the responsibility to have to determine the multitude of skill levels of individual riders when they use a Givi product, so they err on the side of caution and keep the weight recommendations very, very low. They are also probably fairly confident that 6 kilos aren't going to damage any of the bikes that the case is liable to be attached to, which absolves them of the responsibility of testing the weight bearing capacities of potentially hundreds of models of motorcycles.

Givi's product engineers probably do know what the failure point is of their cases and attachment systems is, but there's no profit for them and a lot more liability if they used that number.

·
Registered
591 Posts
As far as the electrical question, there is a switched power connector for heated grips above the radiator top. It might be easier to tap into the wiring for the accessory outlet on the dash.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Most racks, including OEM have similar weight limits. I have always understood that it has little to do with how much weight the rack itself can hold.....more to do with the fact that you are loading a lever arm behind the rear axle. Too much weight lightens the front end and makes the bike handle poorly.

................shu

·
Registered
905 Posts
*edit: Department of Redundancy Department- couldn't completely delete my post which basically regurgitated the other ten after reading the whole thread:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts