StromTrooper banner

Rear pre-load adjustment

6703 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  nelson177
Ok guys, rookie question here. I know how to adjust the rear preload for varying load capacities, ie. my wife riding along. However, I'm not seeing any markings or indicators to get it set back to where I started. So far I'm just counting the turns forward and back on the knob, but I've seen mention of marks or lines on the top of the rear shock. What am I missing?? Can someone include a picture of what to look for?? Thanks much........learning as I go.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
432 Posts
Preload

The lines are really groves that divide the area just above the spring into 5 sections. Two sections showing is the factory or standard setting. The softest is no sections showing and the stiffest is all five sections showing.

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
To clarify, adjusting the preload does not affect the stiffness, only the amount of sag.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Here's the instructions for setting the preload

1. set to maximum

2. you're done
Well, kind'a, but not exactly. The stock spring is pretty weak, and inadequate for a heavy rider to a moderately heavy rider plus load or passenger. Below is the precise way to set front & rear sag via the preload adjustments. And, to further clarify, setting the sag with the preload adjustments raises or lowers the bike to get the loaded bike in about the center of the suspension range of movement to give equal chance to not top-out nor bottom-out.
Suspension Adjustment

· Registered
459 Posts
Wind the knob fully in then put a bit of white paint in the topmost knob slot. You will then have a reference point for setting the suspension up for solo or pillion etc. I weigh around 75kg and have found 5 turns out works fine solo, 3 turns out with my 50kg daughter on the back, damping at 1 turn out. The forks are set at the factory 3, and both ends work very well *for me*. I've done a lot of testing of the settings on various surfaces and those give me the most supple ride without the suspension bottoming out, jarring excessively or wallowing in bends. If you haven't already done it, setting the sag correctly will give you a starting point for further tweaking. A cable tie around one of the fork tubes will let you see how compressed the forks are getting under load.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.