StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the OEM rear tire with the same at 7000 miles. Approaching 14000 miles, and will need a new rear tire. Front OEM tires lasted about 11000 miles. Any suggestions for a rear tire that lasts longer? And, can I mix and match, as my front ite only has 2000 miles. I should say, I ride 90% on road, TC set to 1 unless it rains.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
7000 miles on a rear tire is pretty dang amazing. I'm happy to get 5000 miles out of a rear.

In my opinion, the Pilot Road 4 is the best sport touring tire on the market right now. I believe Michelin makes a Pilot Road 4 "Trail" for the V-Strom, GS, and others.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
They do and even a 19" front!! Having a hard time deciding whether or not to purchase a set of them, which I want them, but not sure if I can afford them. My other choice is the best bang for the buck the Battle Wings

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I was expecting to hate the Battle Wings...but I put a hard 60 miles on them tonight...mostly in the twisty roads. Traction control light blinked at me a few times, but nothing scary happened. Even on the brakes the don't feel bad.

I've never liked a Bridgestone OEM tire, but these really aren't bad so far.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I never got much more than 3k miles on a bike. My oem's have 6300 and the rear is shot. How are you guys getting that kind of mileage? Beats me.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Beats me too.

I think the most miles I ever got out of a rear tire was between 4000-5000. I've seen a front go 13,000...but my rear tires get used up quick. Probably because I use a lot of engine braking and get on the gas early and often. I don't do a lot of highway miles. Mostly twisties.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you only want a tire to last longer and still have decent performance at a more expensive cost, my vote would be on the Heidenau K60 rear tire.

For me I like to balance cost per mile and not necessarily max miles.

I'm running a Shinko 805 rear right now. It was under a hundred bucks to my door. If it lasts me 5k miles then it's more than paid for itself. It's been an awesome performer as well in all aspects.

·
Registered
288 Posts
7000 miles on a rear tire is pretty dang amazing. I'm happy to get 5000 miles out of a rear.
Same here! I'm at 10,000 miles and just about ready to mount my third set counting the original!
Last were Tourance- may go with them again.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I'm running a Shinko 805 rear right now. It was under a hundred bucks to my door. If it lasts me 5k miles then it's more than paid for itself. It's been an awesome performer as well in all aspects.
Shinko's are dirt cheap, but I've always been scared of them. I've heard some say they are great, and some say they are rolling death. I have to be able to trust my tires. When I toss the bike in a corner at 70+mph, I need to have a good feeling that barring any adverse road condition, it's gonna stick.

I have to admit, I'm pleasantly surprised at the Battle Wings. I hit a twisty last night with the TC on 2 and saw the light blink a few times. But it was in the mid 50s, so the road was cold.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shinko's are dirt cheap, but I've always been scared of them. I've heard some say they are great, and some say they are rolling death. I have to be able to trust my tires. When I toss the bike in a corner at 70+mph, I need to have a good feeling that barring any adverse road condition, it's gonna stick.

I have to admit, I'm pleasantly surprised at the Battle Wings. I hit a twisty last night with the TC on 2 and saw the light blink a few times. But it was in the mid 50s, so the road was cold.
I agree completely. That's why I purchased the OEM tires as my replacement. I do trust the Battle Wings in all circumstances. I even rode them this past weekend on dirt with huge gravel, and they did well. That said, i still would like a rear tire that did more than 7000 miles.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Expect to hit a goodly amount of dirt soon. I've still got several thou left on my OEMs but I think I'll feel safer with some Mitas. o7s.

·
Registered
666 Posts

The Battlewings are a great tire. Their on road performance was pretty incredible IMO.

I myself would not ride them in dirt or gravel but that's just me.

Also the Shinko I'm running is nothing like the 705 which is what you are referring to. The 705 is a great tire and has probably millions of miles gathered out there. Some failures have occurred and usually seems to be on heavier machines.

I'm currently running a TKC 80 and a Shinko 805 front and rear respectively.

I've have no worries about running those tires into a corner at 70mph. Nor have there been any reports of failure as of yet.

So far it has been a great universal soldier combination and truly confidence inspiring in the dirt. Obviously sacrificing some mileage.

I think in chirosyd's case and the type of riding he's doing he'd be fine with another Battlewing set unless board and just wanting to try something different.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Love the BW's, and they work quite well in gravel as well. For the money.....show me a better 80/20 tire out there for bikes like this? Maybe the Tourance NEXT, but the BW has it beat on price.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just curious...Has anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpions? I read reviews that they are excellent on asphalt, and just OK on dirt. Maybe because they look so aggressive, riders are taking them into sand or mud and not doing well. They sure look to do the job on gravel and rock.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I have no plans to take my V-Strom down anything worse than my gravel driveway. I would prefer a 100% street tire to anything 80/20.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
interesting, my 650 I had about 12k miles on the rear when I sold it.

I've got about 4k miles on the new bike now and never even thought the tire could be about worn out.. what tread depth should they have? are there warning bars on them? I've never even looked at it lol.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
p.s Syd look into th eTOurance that's what I ran on the 650 and it lasted 12k miles.

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
I switched my wee from the Trailwings (a.k.a., Deathwings) to Metzler Tourances and thought I had gone to tire heaven. They handled great, were completely oblivious to rain, and lasted a good long time.

The Battlewings have proven to be soooooo much better than the Trailwings. So much so that I still have the stocker on after 10,000 miles.

For me it's going to a decision between another Battlewing and a Tourance if it is available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dakar, I had a adventure 990 with the scorpions and they were ok, did not think they were that much better in dirt and after 3 to 4 thousand miles i hated them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts