StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the limited range of knobby tyres for the Stroms, has anyone fitted a knobby meant for use on the rear of a bike to the front of a Strom?

Did it fit under the standard front guard or does the guard need to be changed/lifted?

How did it handle on tar?

How good on the dirt?

Any brand recommendations? [looking at whether to try them on the Wee]

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Due to the limited range of knobby tyres for the Stroms, has anyone fitted a knobby meant for use on the rear of a bike to the front of a Strom?
The late Tony Kirby did on one of his charity rides. If you search the old Two Wheels archives in about 2008 or 2009 you should be able to find the details.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
T.K.did use a rear Knobby on the front. I think it may have been a Traxinator or some such and it may not have been D.O.T. approved. It was a huge beast of a tyre and I can't recall if it did fit under the guard.
Steve. what's wrong with TKC80....I know ...Ned Kelly Pricing. Metzler Karoo2 Heidie. K60 Scout Big Block Etc. Give Ballards a call. I have that Heidie with some life in it for you to try.
Sat 5

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The late Tony Kirby did on one of his charity rides. If you search the old Two Wheels archives in about 2008 or 2009 you should be able to find the details.
Thanks Richard.

I will do a google search for that.

Memory is not great, but I seem to recall someone posting a while back on here about fitting a rear knobby to a Strom and something about insufficient guard clearance- but the tyre worked well by reports [I think :confused: ].

Frankly I'm not sure what the difference is between front and rear knobbies, road tyres I can see, but for the most part knobbies are knobbies.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Someone did it for Camerons corner. There are pics (somewhere).

Provided you pick the right one, it should work. And it's possible to raise the front guard anyway.

Pete

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think the T.K. ride was up ( or down) the Vic./S.A. border. Pinnaroo? My memory is vague, yeah I know I've been told before.
I raised my front guard about 3/4" on a trip some years ago, by drilling new holes on the side fixing points. Note: if you drill this plastic start with a small pilot hole and finish with correct size with a BLUNT drill bit. You will split the plastic if you use a sharp bit as it will split before the bit can cut. Using a blunt bit applies to many types of plastic.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Check the knobby for direction of rotation and speed rating. I would like to see somebody ie: tyre company produce a trials universal with a H rating.
I have Karoo on front, noisy but good in the dirt. It's perverse fun watching them melt on bitumen. I have 5000kms on mine and the front is fine but the back might get me to Bingara.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is pretty close to what the Heidenau K60 is in reality.

+1 for the Heidi, Great all round tyre. My current front K60 has 14k on it and still plenty to go!!

Ock,
Where are u taking the Wee that u think u will need a rear Knobby on the front??:confused:

Thought u were trading up to a XC 800 Trump??

Great motors those Triples, loving my GT1050 :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think the T.K. ride was up ( or down) the Vic./S.A. border. Pinnaroo? My memory is vague, yeah I know I've been told before.
I raised my front guard about 3/4" on a trip some years ago, by drilling new holes on the side fixing points. Note: if you drill this plastic start with a small pilot hole and finish with correct size with a BLUNT drill bit. You will split the plastic if you use a sharp bit as it will split before the bit can cut. Using a blunt bit applies to many types of plastic.
Hey Ock if you are going to drill plastic you can use these bits as well
Plastic Drill Bits for Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite - chip-free drilling
Im looking at maybe a TKC80 front and a K60 rear combo whenI finally wear out the Metzlers

·
Registered
172 Posts
2 bob

I fitted a rear tyre[dual sport] to the front of my cagiva navigator, it does not seem to be causing me any issues- though I do not ride the bike often. The tyre is a Kenda and I fitted it so the direction of rotation is opposite..
Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Front knobby

Ock; Joe Watson posted an off road build log on Adv. Rider 09-09-2009. He used Mitas F+R which looked good.. Worth a look.

Sat. 5

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
More information, please Ock, about where your thoughts are heading.

Are you really wanting to go to a tubed off-road knobby, when tubeless semi-knobblies like the Kenda-K784 "Big Block" 110/80-19 are such an easy choice for the front wheel of a heavy bike?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My dodgy memory :confused: suggests TK used a Kenda Washougal rear (on the front) of his bike which I'm pretty sure had been converted to spoked wheels (sort of sure the rear wheel failed where TT's bike on standard wheels survived?) so was not losing the convenience of running tubeless, they did a lot of running in real sand not just dirt roads and the like, :hurray:brave, can't imagine for what most peoples use of a strom off road why you would not just use a TKC (near 10k on my front now but close to rooted), Mitas E10 or Kenda Big Block or some such.

Cheers, Wanderlost.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I might find something like those tyres in the pics.

Then fit a B&B bash plate [not happy with the SW Motech bash plate I have so I will sell it].

A set of Soupy's Performance raising links to lift the back a couple of inches.

Raise the front guard.

And a can of HTFU so I'm not afraid to crash a bike I bought brand new and is still in top condition [not to mention my not so bulletproof self]. :yikes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts