StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deep cleaning the bike this evening I noticed rust build up on the inside of the rear footpeg hanger brackets (see photo). I think I also spotted where someone has done a spray over job before selling the bike. There is a faint silver spray mark inside the rear mudguard and a line high on the rear subframe from where it was masked off.

I can't see a good way - other than stripping out the rear subframe - of cleaning up the rust and then repainting the metal.

Not something I have any experience of doing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers Himself

·
Registered
15 Posts
Found the exact same thing on my bike, that sub frame is very prone to spots of rust esp around welded seams.
Bought some of these, used with a hand drill

Then applied this with a small brush, leave for 3 hours to dry

Had no luck finding exact paint match but got something similar in my local paint store for a silver mercedes that was a very good match.

Covered the bike best I could with blankets and towels and resprayed. Was not going to take the sub frame off the bike due to time. Looks pretty good now. I'll photo the bike and repost.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Small Tip:
If you have a small area that needs painting and the only source for color matched paint comes in a spray can ...
You can save the effort of masking and risk of accidental over-spray by spraying the paint onto an artist style paint brush. Then just brush it on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent - thank you. I'll get some Jenolite on the way.

I'd decided to see what I could do before having to take the rear subframe out and found these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LGUDA8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which I applied using a small electric drill (Ikea special) and a flexidrive https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D3477B6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jenolite is the missing piece - it won't be perfect but it is hidden away and will protect the metalwork until next winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That should do the job, you're in the UK right? Same weather for me in Dublin so I'd get some ACF-50 too and after doing the bits you need and giving it a good clean then apply this everywhere there's steel etc (frame and engine) doesn't matter if you get it on trim or plastics KEEP it off the discs though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I taped off sections that only needed to be sprayed (no point in going over paintwork that was fine) but make sure you wirewheel enough of the good paintwork so the rust is totally gone or it will return. Mine is not perfect but put my mind at rest so it'd not progress and get worse.
I can see where the exhaust mounts the frame that there's some friction causing that part to rust again so will get a rubber washer for that part as the vibrations are doing something to the subframe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts