StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using one? After a ride in the rain the other day I see more sand and dirt flung around the rear swingarm than I'd like to see.

My research came up with both Givi and Puig making for our 2014 and up DL1000 V-Stroms.

Anyone using one, and if so, how do you like it?

Are there any other companies making one?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have Givi one and it saves swingarm and rear suspension from all kind of road dirt. I like it a lot, especially because it looks like it belongs to the bike, not like aftermarket part.

·
Registered
650 Posts
+1 for the Givi, got ours from Motostorm.it. It does keep a lot of debris off the shock but not all!, At first I thought it was looked very plain and cheap :( (it is!) but agree it is functional and un obtrusive. If you want a Carbon Fiber or high gloss product this will dissapoint you.I had actually considered painting mine...
The finish is in a "durable" satin/matt , I would prefer a slight texture or "depth" to the surface.Howeveras Bosnjo's image shows the hugger can be shined up with a suitable "shine" spray or product.
In anycase, you dont see the hugger when you're riding ;)
AND the Givi IS very competitively priced ;)
I am glad we bought one :)

I did notice the factory rubber flap that hangs down between the hugger and the shock might in time rub the hugger surface as the rear suspension compresses and spoil the hugger surface finish, I have forgotten to check ours-which we have ridden about ,4000 ks I,ll check it and see! The flap could be removed,trimmed or folded up out of the way as it is made redundant by the hugger.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I went with the Puig. It has an integral chain guard. You first remove the factory chain guard and mini deflector and then slip the Puig in place and start bolting it up. You add a mounting bracket to the RH side of the swing arm and that gives it a total of five attachment points.

Before:

Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Crappy after photos:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Would like to see some shots without the side cases and from a little further back.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts
This mud guard looks like an important add-on for anyone that rides dirt or gravel roads. I am trying to locate one now. Best price noted so far is from Canadasmotorcycle.ca for $134.99 (Canadian) with Free shipping, but they are currently out of stock. Prices from Italy with shipping seem to be over $200 and from US prices are the same as in Canada, but in US bucks, which means 30% more (in Canada) plus shipping costs (if any).

Guess I will wait a while to see if this becomes available in Canada. If anyone sources one cheaper please let me know. I won't need it for a few months so there is time to wait for a deal someplace.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please can you post where you have mounted the front of your wolfman rainier to?
Ok, if you look down into the abyss behind your forks and forward and to the side of your fuel tank (framed by the silver colored trim pieces) you will see a small strut, about 1/4" diameter and 3" long, that is parallel with the ground and perpendicular to the backbone of the frame. I have the front straps looped around those and routed up to the bag itself.

I didn't get a photo of the strut but here's some crappy photos of what it looks like:

Front Anchor :
Wolfman Rainier 2014 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
Rear Anchor :

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Is that the givi monokey rack?
Hi Midwinter,
The rack is the sw-motech Quick-lock Evo Side Carrier and yes I believe it is monokey.
Part # KFT.05.440.20000/B (on installation sheets)
The are easily removed if you require to do so and also fit very tight against the bike so you have a narrow profile.
The pannier mounting hardware on the racks is dependent on the brand of luggage you have.

I have put the measurements up of the width somewhere before but cant remember where maybe do a search.

Hope this helps

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man

1 - 20 of 54 Posts