StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. On Friday I got rear ended on the bike. Fun times. Young girl not paying attention, probably texting.

My brand new Delkevic exhaust is smashed, my rear wheel is bent, licence plate light and frame smashed. Crash bars completely saved the plastics but the crash bars and my side case rack are deeply gouged.

The question I have is when you get hit on the rear wheel how far typically does the damage go? Replace the rear wheel and its fine? Or axle, swing-arm, or even frame damage at the swing-arm pivot possible?

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
How fast was the driver going? I would have all the spots you mentioned checked out, and if your rear fender is as mangled as it looks, you might want to check your under-seat tray, rear subframe, and inner rear fender and battery box. But any level of damage to those pieces may depend on the speed at which you were impacted.

Just my opinions, maybe someone else with more experience will chime in for you.

Are you okay? Any broken bones, whiplash, etc.? Crashes are never fun, whether you get injured or not and whether you are at fault or not...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How fast was the driver going? I would have all the spots you mentioned checked out, and if your rear fender is as mangled as it looks, you might want to check your under-seat tray, rear subframe, and inner rear fender and battery box. But any level of damage to those pieces may depend on the speed at which you were impacted.

Just my opinions, maybe someone else with more experience will chime in for you.

Are you okay? Any broken bones, whiplash, etc.? Crashes are never fun, whether you get injured or not and whether you are at fault or not...
I was at a complete stop and they were going approximately 25-35 mph. No broken bones, not even broken skin, scuffed shoes and scuffed top of my helmet. My left hip and arm and neck are very sore but I seem to be ok otherwise. This is the 2nd time I have crashed in my Tourmaster jacket and still no damage.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
Glad you are OK. As Charlie suggests you could easily have rear sub frame damage as well. If you have full insurance it is not your problem. How about that young lady who was texting?
Properly repairing a bike after a collision can get very expensive very quickly. I'd be checking out all my options before getting into doing it myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you are OK. As Charlie suggests you could easily have rear sub frame damage as well. If you have full insurance it is not your problem. How about that young lady who was texting?
Properly repairing a bike after a collision can get very expensive very quickly. I'd be checking out all my options before getting into doing it myself.
It has already been made 100% her fault by insurance, now just pending an inspector/appraiser to come to my house. I fully intend to send the bike to the Suzuki dealer to have it dismantled and inspected for hidden damage.

Mostly trying to gauge weather they are gonna total it out or not.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe also check the rear wiring harness for torn insulation, broken wires, etc. Just a thought.

Glad you weren't hurt any worse! But I would recommend that you pay attention to what your body tells you over the next couple of weeks. You don't always feel all the effects of a crash immediately afterward.

I happened to notice your OR plate in one of the pictures, and went and found your Introductory thread. Sorry this had to happen so soon after acquiring your bike! Wishing you all the best.

Is someone from the other driver's insurance company coming to inspect the bike and determine whether it's totalled or not? That's what happened with my car, when another driver pulled out in front of me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Oops, the other two posts above mine were put out before I was done typing, apparently. Sounds like you're all set. You probably know this already, but it doesn't seem to take much to total a vehicle out these days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just bummed because I've owned it for less than 2 months and just got it dialed. New rear wheel bearings, clutch basket fix, and exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
If it's not a write-off (but I'm guessing it is), you may be best off taking the cash and repairing yourself. I went through something similar and took the cash and lived with a few cosmetic deficiencies. It was well worth the while.

I'd think rear subframe is bent, swingarm and bearings, wheel bearings, wheel (obviously), and rear shock bearings. All that adds up quick. Plus labour. Signal lights are not cheap either.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It has already been made 100% her fault by insurance, now just pending an inspector/appraiser to come to my house. I fully intend to send the bike to the Suzuki dealer to have it dismantled and inspected for hidden damage.

Mostly trying to gauge weather they are gonna total it out or not.
If the frame itself has even as much as a scratch on it, they will probably total it.

There are shops out there (ie.. GMD Computrack here in the Atlanta area) that can measure out your frame and realign it if it isn't too bad... If you are considering keeping this bike, I would try to locate someone similar to GMD near you to do an assessment on it (on their insurance companies dime..)

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
That's a hell of a hit speed...the bike will get replaced or fixed but you want a pretty work up of your neck and spine.
Glad you are okay and fortunate you did not get pinned against another vehicle...damn that's a high speed hit...
How far were you pushed?
If you were in gear that's a pretty big jolt to the transmission as well. I think a write off will be in the works...even preferable to always thinking that any new rattle etc was accident related.

It's always been my biggest fear is getting hit from behind...I think I spend more time looking behind me when slowing down than ahead.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a hell of a hit speed...the bike will get replaced or fixed but you want a pretty work up of your neck and spine.
Glad you are okay and fortunate you did not get pinned against another vehicle...damn that's a high speed hit...
How far were you pushed?
If you were in gear that's a pretty big jolt to the transmission as well. I think a write off will be in the works...even preferable to always thinking that any new rattle etc was accident related.

It's always been my biggest fear is getting hit from behind...I think I spend more time looking behind me when slowing down than ahead.
I Don't know how far I went but I was thrown from the bike. I'm planning to make a DR appointment first thing tomorrow.

I was in first gear when I got hit, I remember hearing the bike shut itself off a few seconds after I went down and it was already in neutral when I picked it up to push it out of the road. I haven't tried to shift the trans or start the bike since the incident.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Sorry to hear about this ! Glad you are OK,but such a new to you bike getting smashed up like that. Hopefully, the insurance treats you well, maybe you'll be shopping for another one soonif they total this one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My insurance co. just gave me a check for a bike that was stolen and thrashed. In the end, they're just machines and can be replaced, the important thing is you're OK.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Before it goes to the dealer I would take off any accessories or parts that you may have added. Any chance of refitting the original pipes?
The aftermarket pipes are damaged and the muffler is pushed so far forward that I don't know if it's the link pipe or header that's bent.

But I will take the few things I can off.

Reactions: Brockie
1 - 20 of 47 Posts