StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exhaust leak from the rear cylinder. At first I thought it was the header/muffler joints, but after sealing them it's pretty clear the leak is either at the header gasket or somewhere in the tubing that leads to the cat.

I pulled the tank last night and had a look, but none of the exhaust is accessible from there. My question is: what do I have to dismantle to gain access to the rear exhaust header gasket and the plumbing leading away from it? Are there any shortcuts? It's really buried in there.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,405 Posts
Swivel sockets and swivel extensions are your friend here. It is difficult to get to but not impossible. I went to the trouble of removing mine to fix....the exhaust leak. New gasket thingy, cleaned up everything and reassembled. Still get some noise from there. Don't worry much about it anymore........

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Swivel sockets and swivel extensions are your friend here. It is difficult to get to but not impossible. I went to the trouble of removing mine to fix....the exhaust leak. New gasket thingy, cleaned up everything and reassembled. Still get some noise from there. Don't worry much about it anymore........
Thanks, I appreciate the response. What exactly did you remove to fix it, the exhaust system itself? Sorry if I'm being dense here.

I burned an exhaust valve on my Shovelhead due to a leaky gasket. This probably is not as severe.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I highly suggest using High Temp RTV when putting the gasket in. It is just some extra insurance and REALLY seals up inherent gaps.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,405 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the response. What exactly did you remove to fix it, the exhaust system itself? Sorry if I'm being dense here.

I burned an exhaust valve on my Shovelhead due to a leaky gasket. This probably is not as severe.
Been a couple years now since I done the work. Cannot remember from here at the desk what I had to take off, but If I recall correctly not much has to come off in the way of parts. I may have removed the rear tire and loosened the rear shock so I could move the swingarm up and down. Obviously you will have to take off or loosen the entire exhaust system to get the pipe to the rear cylinder off. Make sure you have good fitting tools. Rounding off or stripping one of the fasteners would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you have good fitting tools. Rounding off or stripping one of the fasteners would be a nightmare.
Roger that...I had to drill and tap the single stud the HD exhaust pipes hung on more than once. Not fun. I'll start by soaking with PB Blaster.

Upon further review, it looks like if I pull the rear wheel and the big plastic mud guard off I can get to the header bolts. Now I'm wishing I had one of those nice elevated tables the mechanics use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts