StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a rear caliper upgrade for the 1000.???.I now have a sidecar and use ALOT more rear brake and would like more rear stopping power.I would prefer a bolt on but can do fab for a better rear brake.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I put GSXR calipers on the front of mine, so now I'm sitting with a set of stock Vee calipers. I'd love to see someone fab up (and sell me) a bracket to use the former front right caliper on the rear. I had the same rear caliper on my Kawi ZR7.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
probably

Probably want to go to a larger-diameter rotor, both for heat dissipation and better leverage. Getting a lot of braking force out of that stock small rear rotor is likely to overheat/fade it. Might find that a larger rotor, with the stock caliper offset an inch or two, and some premium aftermarket pads, may give the stopping power you're looking for.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I bought a 2 piston rear caliper off a Honda. It seems the Honda runs a smaller rotor. I thought about an adaptor.I don't mind investing the time but I really didn't see a fast upside This is a situation where I had a solution in search of a problem. New pads/brake line will make the stock setup "Adequate".

Les

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have you upgraded your pads to HH in the rear? EBC or Galfer pads will increase your braking force quite a bit. I'd try that first.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have EBC pads in the rear now,I will have a sidecar brake someday but it will have to be totally fabed so it will be a winter project.My sidecar added 200 lbs ( empty) and with my wife..375.Locking up the rear brake is a effective method for making sharp quick left hand turns.I had heard somewhere that a honda 929?? caliper will bolt up BUT I don't have one to see.As far as fade go's I don't use it for long periods of time just short burst's.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I put GSXR calipers on the front of mine, so now I'm sitting with a set of stock Vee calipers. I'd love to see someone fab up (and sell me) a bracket to use the former front right caliper on the rear.
That is an interesting option. I was planning on doing the GSXR calipers later on and being able to reuse one of the stock 2 piston calipers in the rear is a very nice idea.

I suspect it will take a new caliper support bracket as I'm doubtful adding simple bracket extension like in the front will work. If SV racing or ??? isn't interested I might look at machining one myself.

Question on the GSXR upgrade, did you keep the stock master cylinder?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I currently have the stock master cylinder. I'm trying to get in touch with Blair, but we keep missing each others calls (admittedly I'm pretty difficult to track down during business hours), as he's tried different master cylinders with better results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts