StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Granted I'm new to owning a WeeStrom, but I find the rear brake rather weak!
Is it normal to have to step on it so hard to get decent stopping power, the pads seem alright but could they be glazed or something? Maybe it's just the mature of the beast or would just a new set of pads be in order.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I put aftermarket brake pads all around on my Wee. the front is a lot,lot better. the back is better but you still have to put a lot of pressure on it to get it to work well.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Most call the Strom brakes wooden, I agree.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I found the pivot for the rear brake arm dry. Take it off & grease it would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think it's fairly normal for manufacturers to engineer a rear brake system that is less powerful and sensitive to pedal pressure. First, the weight transfer that happens on braking makes the rear wheel far less effective at stopping without locking, which is not something any one wants...unless you're squaring off a turn in the dirt or gravel. The need for lower braking power also means that rear calipers and rotors and much less robust in size and clamping pressure. So to your question, I think it's the nature of the beast, so to speak. That being said, you should still be able to lock the rear wheel with full brake pressure application, so if that's not happening, I'd look for an issue.

You can install HH-grade sintered pads on the rear, but that's kind of overkill for normal street braking, and also results in the rear being slightly more "grabby". Great for the front wheel...not so much for the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts