StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with rear brake pad wear.I installed some new pads about 2000 miles ago and they are already down to the metal wear tabs.Sometimes when I ride my bike it smells like the brakes are really hot.I just apply normal brake pressure and dont abuse my bike.I was thinking this could be a caliper problem.The bike is a 2003 DL 1000 with about 8500 miles. :?:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will put some new pads on and see what happens.My other bike a KLR 650 has no problems with the rear brake pads wearing.Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have seen this before on some customers' bikes. If you can be completely certain the caliper fully releases, there is only one answer. You're riding the brake.

It's easy enough to do without realizing it. I've had a customer toast a set of rear pads in a few thousand miles when normally I'd expect them
(not agressive sportbiker types) to get ten or twenty thousand miles.

I asked this one guy to get on his bike, ride out of my driveway, go around the block and come back. I noticed as he left my driveway the brake light flickered on and off a few times. When he came back the brake was pretty warm but he swore he only applied it once or twice while going around the block. I showed him that when he had his right foot on the peg, he actually had the rear brake pedal pressed down about a quarter of an inch. Close examination both hot and cold, showed the brake fully released with no pressure on the pedal.

Try riding with your toes under the pedal. It's sometimes helpful to adjust the pedal upwards to make this easier.

But before you do anything, be sure the brake is not dragging.

Ride well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts