StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 DL-650 ABS
I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads. Per the instruction manual, the first step is to remove the "plug" that covers the "pad mounting pin". This plug has a simple slot in it that looks like it should take a regular screwdriver. It was already gouged up some before I started this.

For the life of me I can't budge it. I should be turning it counter-clockwise, correct? :grin2: I've been trying my manual impact wrench (which has worked miracles on stuck bolts on automotive brakes). No go.

Right now it has some Liquid Wrench soaking into it. I'll give it another try in the morning. I suppose if forced I could drill it out.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, do you have any advice on getting it loose? The thought of taking a torch to it isn't exactly inviting, I can see me burning everything to the ground.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Others have had trouble with it. Penetrating oil and heat are typical methods. A hammer impact tool may help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
2008 DL-650 ABS
I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads. Per the instruction manual, the first step is to remove the "plug" that covers the "pad mounting pin". This plug has a simple slot in it that looks like it should take a regular screwdriver. It was already gouged up some before I started this.

For the life of me I can't budge it. I should be turning it counter-clockwise, correct? :grin2: I've been trying my manual impact wrench (which has worked miracles on stuck bolts on automotive brakes). No go.

Right now it has some Liquid Wrench soaking into it. I'll give it another try in the morning. I suppose if forced I could drill it out.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, do you have any advice on getting it loose? The thought of taking a torch to it isn't exactly inviting, I can see me burning everything to the ground.

Thanks for any suggestions!
That little plug is such a PITA :( unfortunately

Yes, you've to spray some rust killer (or WD40) and let it loosen up. Use a strong flat head screw driver and twist it free. Yes, counter clockwise!

:)

V Strom LED headlights - wp.me/p48a0W-1D
Turn signal conversion to running lights- wp.me/p48a0W-1Z
LED tail lights - wp.me/p48a0W-1I
MadStad + Givi - wp.me/p48a0W-1N
Mirror Extenders - wp.me/p48a0W-1R

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The torch and impact driver worked! I had it on for about 30 seconds, until I started to smell the rubber cap on the bleeder nipple start to smoke. I then used an impact driver

·
Registered
73 Posts
Guys, flour or five years ago there was a V-Strom rider in England who got fed up with the plug covering the pad mounting pin seizing up due to corrosion. He started making and selling a stainless steel plug that solved the problem. I ordered one from him and it works as advertised.

I've spent the last 30 minutes looking for his ordering info but haven't found it yet. I'll look some more later today. If I can't locate the info maybe someone else who ordered one will see this and pass along how to get in touch with the guy.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Guys, flour or five years ago there was a V-Strom rider in England who got fed up with the plug covering the pad mounting pin seizing up due to corrosion. He started making and selling a stainless steel plug that solved the problem. I ordered one from him and it works as advertised.

I've spent the last 30 minutes looking for his ordering info but haven't found it yet. I'll look some more later today. If I can't locate the info maybe someone else who ordered one will see this and pass along how to get in touch with the guy.
That would be good information. The plug is a PITA.

·
Registered
73 Posts
stainless steel rear brake plug

That would be good information. The plug is a PITA.
I've found the website of the outfit from which I bought the stainless rear brake "plug". The plug isn't currently shown on their website but I've emailed them to see if they still produce/sell the plug. I'll post info on the company as soon as I hear back from them.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I contacted Shaw Stainless and received a quick reply from them. The Nissin stainless steel pin plug/cap is still available for the rear calipers on the V-Stroms that use that caliper. Shipping may cost more than the replacement plug itself but it is worth it. Here is the link to the applicable page on their website:

http://www.shawstainless.co.uk/product.php/6750418/

This will solve the problem of those rusted-in-place brake pad pin plugs!

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I had seen this complaint before and went out to the bike and got mine loose with not too much effort at that time. Sometimes when parts sit they can get locked up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I contacted Shaw Stainless and received a quick reply from them. The Nissin stainless steel pin plug/cap is still available for the rear calipers on the V-Stroms that use that caliper. Shipping may cost more than the replacement plug itself but it is worth it. Here is the link to the applicable page on their website:

http://www.shawstainless.co.uk/product.php/6750418/

This will solve the problem of those rusted-in-place brake pad pin plugs!
Thanks for this! I'm having this problem now. I think I'll probably get one of these and use anti-seize too.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Impact driver. I finally got pissed with mine and cut a rubber plug and stuffed it in there instead.

If that's too crude, buy an M8 stainless bolt or cap screw and cut it to length.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts