StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently noticed a metallic clunk sound when applying rear brake. Not every time, and only when applying the brake quickly, not on easy, gradual braking. I have checked for play at the wheel/bearings, chain, and swing arm. Checked torque on all the under-carriage bolts like center stand, side stand, etc. I have it narrowed down to movement of the caliper and/or pads.
Looking at the parts below, is #10 a wear item, and if so, is 25000 miles too soon for this to be having play? Part #4, the spring, is putting a fair amount of downward pressure on the pads, and although I can still move them a bit against the spring pressure, it is no more than I ever felt when R&R ing the caliper for tire changes.

Screenshot_20200531-110059_Samsung Internet.jpg
Or is this a non issue, wear ear plugs and ride on?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Pads is my guess. At 25K rears(At least for me) they can be gone. My 05 650 at about 30K had them worn enough that my rotor was gone too. After that they got changed a 25K+-.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pads are not worn much, but they can be moved up and down against the spring, maybe 1 to 1.5mm.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Are you sure the calliper is mounted in the swingarm slot as it should be.

Many people miss it and they get a clunk.

Reactions: Cryoman

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure the calliper is mounted in the swingarm slot as it should be.

Many people miss it and they get a clunk.
I double checked that when I mounted the tire 5000 miles ago, and now again just to be sure, it's fine.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hold down the rear brake and turn the rear wheel back and fourth. Look for the loose parts. I have a rear paddock stand.

Could be cush drive, bearings, caliper parts etc...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There is play (tolerance) designed into that locator slot. If you roll the bike backwards and apply the rear brake it loads at one far side of the space. The next time you tap the brake going forward it shifts to the other side of the slot (clunk). If you apply the brake slowly the metal parts just ease together.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is play (tolerance) designed into that locator slot. If you roll the bike backwards and apply the rear brake it loads at one far side of the space. The next time you tap the brake going forward it shits to the other side of the slot (clunk). If you apply the brake slowly the metal parts just ease together.
This is it. I took a short ride on the quiet streets of my neighborhood without a helmet and could clearly hear it coming from the caliper. With bike on the centerstand I spun the wheel each direction and applied the brake. Observed movement and sound. I'm surprised I never noticed it before, because the fronts have the same sort of play and make the same sound when changing from rolling back to forward, since new, and never gotten louder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts