StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many riders have commented on how hard it is to modulate the rear brake. You either get minimal braking or the rear wheel is locked up. I've seen moto-writers describe rear brakes as "wooden" which sounds about right to me.

I replaced my front brake pads with EBC organic pads last summer and really enjoyed the progressive feel. So I decided to take a chance and ordered a pair for the rear caliper. I installed them yesterday while doing a tire change so it was really easy. Just remove the one long gold colored screw and the pads practically fall out in your hand. (This only works when the rear wheel is removed) By the way, at 28,000 miles, the thickness of the stock pads looked pretty much 100% - I guess I had been avoiding the rear brake due to the lack of controllability.

I got a chance to try out the new pads today. After an hour or two of break in, I can report that the feel of the rear brake is much improved. I am now able to modulate the braking force noticeably better. I would recommend this change if you are bothered by the feel of your rear brake. If you wait until you are doing a tire change it's really easy.

Take Care,

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

Reactions: Lee Saint James

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't know if anyone has tried Gold Fren sintered pads? I put some in my Triumph Trophy and they stop that heavy beast very nicely, amazing how much better than stock. I have bought some for my wee but not fitted them yet. Beware of cheap copies on ebay too.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Don't know if anyone has tried Gold Fren sintered pads? I put some in my Triumph Trophy and they stop that heavy beast very nicely, amazing how much better than stock. I have bought some for my wee but not fitted them yet. Beware of cheap copies on ebay too.
I'm running Gold Fren pads front & rear.

Very good pads - they grip better than the stock pads, have a fraction of the rolling friction and perform well in the wet or on dirt. And best of all - even when full of dirt - they don't squeel ;). I'm on my second set.
The only problem I noticed was that they take a long time to bed in (2-300km!) - probably directly related to the very low drag.

Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts