StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting new ebc organic pads on my rear.

When disassembling rear caliper and pads, I found some shims between the brake pads and the backing clips.

Question is, are those part of the pad or the clip? Do I still use them with the ebc pads?

They are white and have a carbon fiber type of weave in them. They are shaped exactly like the pads.

Probably a dumb question but since these new pads look way thicker than the originals, I am asking.

Sent from my droid.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, checked ron ayers and I guess I need them after all ..

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Curiously, the insulators you describe are not shown on the front, and the metal shim is not discussed in the pad replacement. Both are shown and mentioned in reassembly of the rear. Just did mine a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The shims are needed. And, you should put caliper-specific grease between the pad's backside and the shim to allow the pad to "float" when you apply the brake. That will help prevent squealing. Only a very thin film of grease is needed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curiously, the insulators you describe are not shown on the front, and the metal shim is not discussed in the pad replacement. Both are shown and mentioned in reassembly of the rear. Just did mine a few weeks ago.

Thanks. That is part of what threw me off. I had just done the front brakes and there were none there.

I appreciate the response.

Sent from my droid.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The shim is supposed to do the job that brake grease does for direct piston to pad contact calipers. Brake grease should only be needed if the shims are not used. The only time I've ever had any noise from the brakes was a short interval when the second set of pads was bedding in.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shim is supposed to do the job that brake grease does for direct piston to pad contact calipers. Brake grease should only be needed if the shims are not used. The only time I've ever had any noise from the brakes was a short interval when the second set of pads was bedding in.

Brakes were done with EBC HH fronts and Organics rear. There are no shims for the front and I did not use grease between the caliper and the back of the brake pad. The only thing there is the metal clip ...

I have not had opportunity to ride the bike yet due to this CHICAGO weather ..

Is it reasonable to simply ride it as is and if the front brakes remain reasonably quiet leave it as is ? Or is it advised to throw some caliper grease in there for good measure ?

·
38,103 Posts
The shims #17 and #18 and grease are only for noise. The rear insulators #16 are to lessen heat transfer from pads to brake fluid. Think about getting new shims and insulators for the rear. The fronts only have shims, not insulators and would work with brake grease instead of shims.

·
38,103 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
The shims #17 and #18 and grease are only for noise. The rear insulators #16 are to lessen heat transfer from pads to brake fluid. Think about getting new shims and insulators for the rear. The fronts only have shims, not insulators and would work with brake grease instead of shims.
Why wouldn't heat transfer be an issue for the front? Multiple pistons? Air flow? :confused:

·
38,103 Posts
Why wouldn't heat transfer be an issue for the front? Multiple pistons? Air flow?
I would imagine. Four pistons and two discs versus one piston and one disc. Also, the average rider overuses the rear brake. Probably, testing indicated the rear was overheating so the insulators were added. The rear caliper's fluid on my bike darkens way earlier than the fronts on my bike and I'm light on the rear brake. I have even wear rates front and rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts