StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just bought a 2003 Dl1000 last Friday and I have been having fun with it so far. My first question involves the rear brake. I put my hand on the disc when I got home yesterday and it was pretty warm. I barely use the rear brake. Put my hand on the front discs and they were pretty much air temp. The rear caliper was also warm as was the swingarm. Put the bike up on the centerstand (Yes!) and spun the rear wheel and it seems to spin fine with a barely noticeable scrape from the pads. So, my question is does heat from the motor heat up the swingarm, caliper and rear brake or should I check into the pads more. It's supposed to be less than 2,000 miles on the pads.
Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Spray some brake cleaner on the caliper, it might be a little tight. Also, check the pin that the pads slide on, it might be full of crud and causing some binding. This happened on my Beemer and caused one of my pads to prematurely fail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm

I'll give that a try even after reading this:
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Not doing any welding there so I should be OK. Took a different way home today, a much cooler day. The brake rotor and caliper again seemed to be the same temp as the swingarm and frame. Much cooler than the other day but slightly warmer than the front discs. Didn't touch the rear brake the whole way home, leaving my foot hanging way off the the right of the footpeg.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the same problem. I changed my front and rear pads. The rear caliper, swing arm and wheel would get hotter than heck. The front would be cool. I rode without touching my rear brake and it still was HOT! I tried about everything. :confused: I finally put my old pads back on. I set my new pads on the floor on and saw the tang that fits on the pin was bent on the stationary pad, causing it to continuously drag.

On thinking back I remembered I did not get that pad seated correctly and when I rolled my bike out of the garage, the pad came out of the caliper and was binding up. Without checking it, I reseated the pad. DOH!:furious:

There was $35 bucks down the drain. Fortunately a lesson was learned, so it was not totally wasted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's prolly OK

I ran it for about 20 minutes just sitting on the centerstand and the swingarm heated up but not the disc and caliper. It's aftermarket Remus cans on there so they might be hotter than stock. Both sides of the swingarm heat up. I have a feeling if I idled long enough, the rotor and caliper would have also warmed up. I sprayed brake cleaner on everything anyway. It looks pretty crud free. I just came in from a 20 mile ride and front and rear brakes were a little warm but I think well within norms and so I'm not going to worry about it.

What I'm worried about now is 35 mpg! I thought I had read before I bought this bike that they get 40-45 easy. My Saturn gets 35! Well, a story for another thread.

Thanks to those who replied here.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts