StromTrooper banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
It's plenty. The lubricant in the anti seize cuts the friction so the axle is stretched the required amount. The nut is either a cottered castellated nut or a Fuji clamp nut depending on the year and country so it isn't coming off. I have not seen a single problem reported with the use of the technique, unlike many problems reported with the manual specification of 72.5lb-ft and dry threads.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's plenty. The lubricant in the anti seize cuts the friction so the axle is stretched the required amount. The nut is either a cottered castellated nut or a Fuji clamp nut depending on the year and country so it isn't coming off. I have not seen a single problem reported with the use of the technique, unlike many problems reported with the manual specification of 72.5lb-ft and dry threads.
What would happen if I added the anti-seize and torqued to 58 and then, later, the dealer did some work and, of course, torqued back to spec, "as required" (i.e. I can adjust my chain, but won't change my own tires)?

My dealer, with whom I have a decent relationship with, is strictly by-the-book for liability concerns.

·
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I keep mine at 58 lbs and check it once a week. It's never loosened a bit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I got replacement nuts from McMaster Carr, M18x1.5 stainless for $5.46 each.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have never gone near a torque wrench for removing/replacing wheels. I never swing on the nuts with my largest spanner either. I think the risk of that nut coming off by itself is less than infinitesimal. Has anyone had an axle nut loosen ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never had a nut come loose. Well did have one of my guys go off recently. Ohh, are we talking fasteners? FWIW, at my work we are required to use some lubricant to maintain proper torque on different fasteners on metal cutting tools. If dry you cannot meet proper torque due to the drag of dry metal on metal. With some lube you get closer to proper torque by eliminating the dry metal on metal.

Vinnie ducks and runs for cover!

·
38,047 Posts
just torqued mine to 74ft lbs yesterday twice with no issues
It takes a while to gall and most won't do it at all. You're taking a chance needlessly, small though it may be.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have never gone near a torque wrench for removing/replacing wheels. I never swing on the nuts with my largest spanner either. I think the risk of that nut coming off by itself is less than infinitesimal. Has anyone had an axle nut loosen ?
Me either, in 45 years I've never had a problem; or at least haven't recognized one:) That nut is not going anywhere if it's moderately snug. I've never used anti-seize either, but I think I'll start using that to avoid the galling problem.

·
38,047 Posts
Yes............

·
38,047 Posts
That won't hurt but it isn't needed on V-Strom axles like it is on some other bikes. The axle will not rust to the wheel bearings.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts