StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take a little slack out of my chain. My digital calipers say it's 36mm but my 36MM socket has a little play in it and I don't want to round off the edges.

Thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
is your 36 mm socket a 6 point or a 12 point? 6 point is less likely to round things off. It seems that greywolf recommended 58 ft pounds torque with anti seize to tighten it up. don't get the chain as tight as the manual says.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6-pt. i was going to do 65 ft lb and use marine grease on threads. Would think Suz would update owners guide for a new bike if 72 was wrong?
Has anyone else adj their chains yet? I have about 1.5" of play and was only going to go to 1.2 which is max per owner guide.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
1st, on the wrench, Rick at Adv.Tech makes on that fits the F&R axles. Always in my tool tube for on the road repairs.
2nd The 1.2 isn't enough. 1.5 should be min. At 1.2 or less the chain becomes taunt in the tightest position. Mine is 1.5 -2.0.
No need to overtighten the axle, as 58 ft lbs is plenty(Greywolf's suggestions were always accurate)

·
Vendor
5,368 Posts
Yes, the stock axle nuts and standard universal nuts for that size thread have different outside dimensions. That is important if you carry an emergency axle nut wench. What fits the stock nut may not fit a replacement nut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts