StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was feeling a wheel bearing failing. When I checked out my axles I found that the nut and rectangular tab under it were both missing. Pretty scary, must not have been for a long time but still.

Anyway, I want to replace it obviously, and I haven't found many places to get the nut (there is a $48 nut on google marketplace which seems to be the best bet) but even harder is to find the rectangular tab that sits between the nut and the swingarm.

Anyone know where I might be able to find one? or better yet a kit with the washer tab and the nut together?

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would be having a close look at the thread on the axle. Maybe it is wise to replace the entire assembly.
I would also be checking the front axle and probably do a check of the entire bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Make sure you torque that axle nut to spec!! 72.5ft/lbs for my K6.

I noticed I cannot get near that with the tools in the bike's kit as the 24mm wrench is about 4-6 inches long... when I did not torque to spec, the cotter pin kept the nut from spinning off...

Torqued to spec with a new cotter pin is best.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
That spec has caused problems many times before. One thing that has always worked to prevent galling is to use anti seize on the threads and torque to 58 lb-ft to account for the lubricant effect. I don't know how a cottered nut or Fuji lock nut, the two types of axle nut available, are able to work themselves off.

·
38,049 Posts
Was it a castellated nut requiring a cotter pin

or a Fuji lock nut?

·
38,049 Posts
Sorry, the castellated or Fuji question was for Logidouser. I'm trying to figure out how the nut came off. I don't remember ever seeing a report of that happening before. I can only guess it was a castellated nut that wasn't torqued properly and wasn't pinned.

·
38,049 Posts
That it might have been stolen hadn't occurred to me.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Smokenjoe,
Page not found.

GW, the day before the OP posted this I was reading a thread where you said that if you use antisieze to lower the torque amount and I was thinking that in all the years I had never heard of a rear axle nut coming off. And never torqued that nut in my life. Just feel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts