StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I used the "zip tie" method tonight to replace my rear tire... my pocket book didn't want to pay a shop 80 bucks to install it and have to piss around with leaving the bike there all day.

Everything went great, my only question though is regarding the rear axle. It didn't have a drop of grease on it... the bearings had grease, but the axle was bone dry. Is that normal (it's a new bike, first tire change).

·
Registered
631 Posts
Unfortunately, pretty normal. Just take a dab of grease and smear it on the axle, just the thinnest of coatings is sufficient.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Doesn't need it. It's stainless steel as evidenced by the tendency for it to gall to the nut.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well grease hurt it any?

·
38,103 Posts
A little grease won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8 Posts
I lubed mine up under the advice of a bike mech , both the nut and axel got striped on mine and they were torqued correctly made of cheese I think

·
38,103 Posts
Once again, stainless steel fasteners under high pressure can gall, or cold weld. Taking a galled nut off the axle destroys the threads as the threads on both parts unite until broken off and stay on one part or the other. It gets really interesting when the outboard threads stay with the axle and the inboard threads stay with the nut. Then the nut has to be cut off to release the axle. http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/23698-rear-axle-thread-galled.html

This thread is about the axle though, not the threads. Anti seize on the threads and using 80% of the specified torque to account for the lubrication effect is an excellent idea.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A smear of grease on both axles make the next removal easier.

Reactions: JackinCT
1 - 9 of 9 Posts